Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
I wouldn't do two controllers, if you can help it. I would install one controller, to eliminate the problem of two controllers talking to each other. Even though you ran a new wire to the master valve, you are still connecting the two controllers together.
I'm strictly a RainBird guy, but, the newly designed LXME has issues. I recently installed one of the new LXME"s. Seven of the 24 zones did not work. I could switch wires around and get them to work. I took the controller back to exchange it.
I was talking to my account mgr at my wholesaler and he started telling me about the issues with the newly designed LX. Apparently it runs the zones according to the length of the run times. It doesn't run in zone number order.
I couldn't put that controller up at my commercial property because I couldn't have the zones around the building come on at any time, when the controller thought they should, instead of in the order and the time that I wired them to.
Just want to give you a heads up before you put up an LXME and find out the changes the hard way. It's my understanding that RainBird is working on this issue.
I was able to find the last old style modular LX in our area and I put that up.
Wow, you have no idea how coincidental it is that you bring up that issue with the LXME. On Monday I installed one of these controllers for a customer whose old RB non mod controller had been fried by lighting. The system had basically been built with zones 1-4 covering the foundation with sprays. The foundation plantings are all well established so I had run times ranging from 5 minutes to 10 minutes. Most of the remaining 9 zones were rotor zones that were running the turf and large wooded natural areas. Zone times ranged from 20 mins to 45 mins with the heavier runs times largely on zones 11-13. I set the controller for M,W,F,Sun watering days starting at 4:00 am. Then used the program review to check my start times, etc.

Well on wednesday I get a call from the client and he says "At 6:30 am this morning zone 2 was running." Im thinking oh great, stuck zone. So I ask if the pressure looked weak and he saw any other zones in operation and he said no, it appeared to be working fine. So he believes that the controller is repeating and I told him at 6:30 am the controller shouldn't have even reached the end of it's original cycle. So he said, let's see if it happens again Friday, I was agreeable and told him I would come take a look it if it did. I didn't hear back from him, but I have a feeling it did the same thing. This was a brand new LXME and if what you are saying is true across the board I bet it's the same thing.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If he does not want to spend the money to do it correctly, do not do it at all.

Your name and reputation is attached to anything you do.

IMHO

John
Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
Wow, you have no idea how coincidental it is that you bring up that issue with the LXME. On Monday I installed one of these controllers for a customer whose old RB non mod controller had been fried by lighting. The system had basically been built with zones 1-4 covering the foundation with sprays. The foundation plantings are all well established so I had run times ranging from 5 minutes to 10 minutes. Most of the remaining 9 zones were rotor zones that were running the turf and large wooded natural areas. Zone times ranged from 20 mins to 45 mins with the heavier runs times largely on zones 11-13. I set the controller for M,W,F,Sun watering days starting at 4:00 am. Then used the program review to check my start times, etc.

Well on wednesday I get a call from the client and he says "At 6:30 am this morning zone 2 was running." Im thinking oh great, stuck zone. So I ask if the pressure looked weak and he saw any other zones in operation and he said no, it appeared to be working fine. So he believes that the controller is repeating and I told him at 6:30 am the controller shouldn't have even reached the end of it's original cycle. So he said, let's see if it happens again Friday, I was agreeable and told him I would come take a look it if it did. I didn't hear back from him, but I have a feeling it did the same thing. This was a brand new LXME and if what you are saying is true across the board I bet it's the same thing.
Should be mandatory that all engineers have to work 1 week a yr in the field.