Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo ES-255 Shred/Vac For Leaf Removal

Here is a bit on the shred/vac
Quote:
ECHO Shred 'N' Vac®…Blow It! Shred It! Bag It!
Blow It! Shred It! Bag It! It's that easy with ECHO's versatile Shred 'N' Vac. It turns yard debris into garden mulch fast. Garden mulch has numerous benefits. Along with the cost savings of making your own, mulch blocks weed seeds from sunlight so they do not germinate; mulch promotes better water retention; mulch provides needed nutrients as it decomposes over time, and moderates soil temperatures.
With the power to reduce a volume of leaves, twigs, grass and other debris by a ratio of up to 12:1, ECHO's Power Boost Vortex™ engine combined with a patented shredding mechanism make quick work of your yard work. A 35" long intake tube minimizes stooping and the large two bushel capacity bag minimizes emptying. The Shred 'N' Vac is actually two tools in one – a blower and a vacuum/shredder. Each model includes the tubes necessary for quick conversion between either applicationhttp://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Shred-N-Vacs/ES-255
My questions is do you think this equipment will allow me to tackle average size lawns, with average size leaf fall, for leave removal in a timely process? The bag holds two bushles.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No. As I have said before, put a mulch kit on a mower. Done.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those are only good for really small areas like stairways into basements and stuff where you can't really blow them out. To clean out flower beds and stuff would take forever. You'd be better off blowing them into the lawn and mulching or bagging them up. Way faster. Besides that, if you suck up a small stick it will lock it up, then you're wasting time pulling the tube off and getting the stick out. I have one and the only place I use it is on a stairway that I'd otherwise have to manually pick them up. Even then it seems like it takes up a lot of time.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! Looks like its rakes, tarp and bags for me Unless I can budget a mulch kit
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im telling you man, once you get a mulch kit you will want to shoot yourself in the face for using rakes, tarps, and bags. If you could afford the Echo, I think you could probably afford a mulch kit too. It will save you tons of time.

You should put what sort of equipment you have in your signature so that we can help you better. Do you have a leaf blower?

I am telling you no lie, I have customers with massive amounts of leaves and what I do is get out my blower and blow all the leaves out of the bed and into the lawn. Then I turn everything into dust. I could fill an entire 12' trailer full of leaves that have been chewed up smaller going into the bagger of my 60" with leaves off of one lawn. But instead, I double or sometimes even triple mow the lawn and they are all gone. Dont get me wrong, I don't triple mow more than 2 of my "leafiest" lawns and keep in mind Im going a lot faster the 2nd and 3rd pass. To be able to leave an entire trailer load of leaves mulched into dust on the lawn saves me major time and money. No customer has ever complained. I've even gotten compliments that the lawn looks better then it ever has after mulching a lawn full of leaves that I used to suck up and dump at the street. The customer said to me "the lawn looks the best it ever has but where did you put all the leaves?"
Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A nice back blower will save you more time than a shred n vac. I own a shred n vac, use it for hedgeclippings and final touch ups for leaf clean up's (like richards example).
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One thing I do not like about mulching all leaves ( and I have owned several dedicated mulching kits)-

Some leaves like oak are very bad for a lawn, and will do more harm than good. Maples are no big deal, along with numerous other types, but I have witnessed firsthand the harm oak leaves do to a lawn many times over now, when mulched and left to winter in. Also, on lawns with lots of leafy trees (vs coniferous), a heavy layer of mulched leaves of any type doesn't/won't disappear by springtime, and can actually prevent grass from getting off to a good start since they block a lot of the suns rays that grass growth needs in early spring.

If your customers are fine with you mulching their leaves, then it's the best way to go IMO, with bagging coming in second.

As far as trying to suck them up with a shredder vac- knock yourself out, but it ain't for me!! I have an SH 85 Stihl, and like Greg above, I use it for hard to get to places and smaller flower beds, window wells, etc.
I have done my entire front yard with it in the past, but that was more for my own amusement to determine how it would do than anything else.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's all mulching for me! grass, leaves everything!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Good call on the mulching system! I was thinking they were going to be $500 plus. My scag dealer has the hurricane mulch system for $330. Are they a pain to put them in? The dealer will put it in for an extra $70
Stihl FS90 trimmer with brush cutter attachment
Troy Built Trimmer Attachment Series
6 x 12 open trailer
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Dyke View Post
Good call on the mulching system! I was thinking they were going to be $500 plus. My scag dealer has the hurricane mulch system for $330. Are they a pain to put them in? The dealer will put it in for an extra $70
I have never installed a system on a Scag, but I doubt that it's any harder to do than on most other brands. Many, if not most, only require turning a wrench on two or three bolts and nuts to install one, and swapping out the blades. I would never pay a dealer to do what will only take me 10-15 minutes to do (maybe a tad longer if one or two holes needs drilling).