Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
One thing I do not like about mulching all leaves ( and I have owned several dedicated mulching kits)-

Some leaves like oak are very bad for a lawn, and will do more harm than good. Maples are no big deal, along with numerous other types, but I have witnessed firsthand the harm oak leaves do to a lawn many times over now, when mulched and left to winter in. Also, on lawns with lots of leafy trees (vs coniferous), a heavy layer of mulched leaves of any type doesn't/won't disappear by springtime, and can actually prevent grass from getting off to a good start since they block a lot of the suns rays that grass growth needs in early spring.

If your customers are fine with you mulching their leaves, then it's the best way to go IMO, with bagging coming in second.

As far as trying to suck them up with a shredder vac- knock yourself out, but it ain't for me!! I have an SH 85 Stihl, and like Greg above, I use it for hard to get to places and smaller flower beds, window wells, etc.
I have done my entire front yard with it in the past, but that was more for my own amusement to determine how it would do than anything else.
How are the oak leaves bad for the lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Dyke View Post
Good call on the mulching system! I was thinking they were going to be $500 plus. My scag dealer has the hurricane mulch system for $330. Are they a pain to put them in? The dealer will put it in for an extra $70
Install it yourself for sure. On my mower its like 8 nuts and bolt that go through preexisting holes. It shouldnt take you long and you will want to know how to do it so you can uninstall and reinstall as needed.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
How are the oak leaves bad for the lawn?

They're very acidic- like pine needles. Too many of them, and you have to start playing with lime and watching the PH levels to get the lawn to recover. Too much lime can ruin a lawn though, since once you oversweeten the soil it takes a long time to bring the PH back to where it should be.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
They're very acidic- like pine needles. Too many of them, and you have to start playing with lime and watching the PH levels to get the lawn to recover. Too much lime can ruin a lawn though, since once you oversweeten the soil it takes a long time to bring the PH back to where it should be.
Thank you for the education. I are smrt now
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Thank you for the education. I are smrt now
I had to learn that the hard way many years ago, and it was an expensive education.