Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
That's a good thread. Old but informative
Posted via Mobile Device
I just read that whole thread, and I agree, it's good read. I also agree with darryl, there should be a better explanation by Meg-Mo (or anyone else for that matter) by now.

I'm not suggesting that the system doesn't work at all, or isn't a good idea/design, just that the system can't be self balancing by rotaional forces as claimed.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 AM
ReddensLawnCare ReddensLawnCare is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,557
After watching the videos online I believe it is a fantastic product for large fields or the ag industry. I believe it needs some work before it will be accepted in this industry. In the videos it did a great job of cutting tall grass and evenly distributing it, but there was a lot of grass left standing as well. The finished product wasn't manicured enough for my taste. If I had several acres of my own property to do that got cut every two weeks, well that's a different story
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,889
It's just too expensive, and I'd still have to pay return shipping if it didn't work out for me as claimed (which I don't think is right), but I'd really like to try the system out just for the fall season and see if it does as Meg-Mo claims it does on leaves. If so, that alone would make it worthwhile to me.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
After watching the videos online I believe it is a fantastic product for large fields or the ag industry. I believe it needs some work before it will be accepted in this industry. In the videos it did a great job of cutting tall grass and evenly distributing it, but there was a lot of grass left standing as well. The finished product wasn't manicured enough for my taste. If I had several acres of my own property to do that got cut every two weeks, well that's a different story
Posted via Mobile Device
In fact, I have read a long thread in a tractor forum regarding the Meg-Mo system. There are many users of it there that have large acreages they mow with compact tractors that seem to love the Meg-Mo blade system. In general, they report less clumping, less buildup of grass under the deck and the ability to mow in wet conditions. They also report that the blades stay sharp very well. Many of the users had been using Gator blades, which in my opinion are not good for mowing areas that are mowed infrequently that have dense growth or in wet conditions. I find high lift blades work best in those conditions.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
In fact, I have read a long thread in a tractor forum regarding the Meg-Mo system. There are many users of it there that have large acreages they mow with compact tractors that seem to love the Meg-Mo blade system. In general, they report less clumping, less buildup of grass under the deck and the ability to mow in wet conditions. They also report that the blades stay sharp very well. Many of the users had been using Gator blades, which in my opinion are not good for mowing areas that are mowed infrequently that have dense growth or in wet conditions. I find high lift blades work best in those conditions.
darryl-

Try the new Gator G6 blades. Big difference over the std Gators, I posted pics and a review in the G6 thread that has been running here for a while. They've worked great on long, thick, damp grass so far for me on my 7 Iron.

Here's a link, and my pics are towards the bottom of the page. may be of interest to you, maybe not.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...+blades&page=5
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,982
I would like to know where meg-mo rep is. I would think he would want to defend his product after being bashed
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 PM
ReddensLawnCare ReddensLawnCare is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
darryl-

Try the new Gator G6 blades. Big difference over the std Gators, I posted pics and a review in the G6 thread that has been running here for a while. They've worked great on long, thick, damp grass so far for me on my 7 Iron.

Here's a link, and my pics are towards the bottom of the page. may be of interest to you, maybe not.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...+blades&page=5
I just glazed through that and THAT is how a company rep should act. Professional, to the point, and well written.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I would like to know where meg-mo rep is. I would think he would want to defend his product after being bashed
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh he chimes in every now and then. Still trying to prove that a rotating assembly is self balancing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
darryl-

Try the new Gator G6 blades. Big difference over the std Gators, I posted pics and a review in the G6 thread that has been running here for a while. They've worked great on long, thick, damp grass so far for me on my 7 Iron.

Here's a link, and my pics are towards the bottom of the page. may be of interest to you, maybe not.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...+blades&page=5
Thanks for the tip. I'm running the older style Gators on both of my machines now that growth has slowed a bit and leaves are dropping. From reading that thread, people seem to really like the G6 blades, those with plenty of horse power anyway. Now if they could just find a way to get them to self balance......

P.S. - I've got a customer who is a mechanical engineer...I'm gonna run the self balance concept by him the next time I see him. I also have a friend who is a physics professor but he's in Germany and I'm not sure I have his current contact info.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'm running the older style Gators on both of my machines now that growth has slowed a bit and leaves are dropping. From reading that thread, people seem to really like the G6 blades, those with plenty of horse power anyway. Now if they could just find a way to get them to self balance......

P.S. - I've got a customer who is a mechanical engineer...I'm gonna run the self balance concept by him the next time I see him. I also have a friend who is a physics professor but he's in Germany and I'm not sure I have his current contact info.

What? You mean they don't?!!? BTW, they self sharpen just by slicing through the grass.

I'm betting your friend tells us what we already know.........
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.10005 seconds with 8 queries