Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting...the Hunter Perfect Balance Ceiling Fan...they use a control ring that the blades float on...this makes sense. It basically moves the center of rotation to match the center of mass. Not something you can do with a mower blade because it has to operate in the tight confines of a mower deck. http://perfectbalance.hunterfan.com/.../how-it-works/

They have a little video clip too but I can't get it to play all the way through on either of my computers for some reason.
http://perfectbalance.hunterfan.com/...ee-worry-free/

Well, doesn't look like it's going to stop raining...guess I'll go run some errands.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Interesting...the Hunter Perfect Balance Ceiling Fan...they use a control ring that the blades float on...this makes sense. It basically moves the center of rotation to match the center of mass. Not something you can do with a mower blade because it has to operate in the tight confines of a mower deck. http://perfectbalance.hunterfan.com/.../how-it-works/

They have a little video clip too but I can't get it to play all the way through on either of my computers for some reason.
http://perfectbalance.hunterfan.com/...ee-worry-free/

Well, doesn't look like it's going to stop raining...guess I'll go run some errands.
Must be their site, 'cause it doesn't work for me either (for more than a few moments at the beginning). That's interesting though, and I could see how the Meg-Mo's could theoretically work if designed like the fan, but obviously they aren't, and if they were, the blades on one spindle would collide at some point with the blades on the spindle next to them.

I checked out that thread, and the posts by slkpk at MyTractorForum, and in looking at how the blades hang on the guy's 54C deck while in the upright position for taking the picture, I noticed that the cutting/sharpened edge is resting right against the rear of the blade next to it, so I started wondering- even though they wouldn't be hanging like in the guys picture when the mower is flat under the machine, what keeps the sharpened edges from banging into the rear end of the one next to it once centrifugal force has diminished to the point that it can no longer hold them away from collapsing in towards the center as they slow to a stop? Seems like you'd ruin the cutting edge rather quickly from looking at the picture.

The guy even mentioned that they "bang around" under the deck when the mower is first engaged (which anyone who has run a bush hog has experienced as the blades swing into their outward cutting position from centrifugal force). While a bush hog's blades are free swinging and can rotate completely (360 degrees) around their mounting bolt without hitting each other or the stump jumper, that isn't the case with the Meg-Mo's as can be seen in his picture. Each blade actually can contact the center ring, and the rear of the blade next to it.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 09-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think anyone is bashing the product. I think we are simply asking for an explanation of how their product is seeminly able to defy the laws of physics. This same question has been asked for at least 8 years now, and to my knowledge nobody has received a satisfactory explanation.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nor has anyone come back and said this product revolutionizes mowing as we know it. Some wheels just can't be reinvented.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are u considering the purchase of these blades? Im thinking no. Why continue?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Are u considering the purchase of these blades? Im thinking no. Why continue?
If you read the whole thread, especially a few posts above, I would be serious about buying a set to try on the leaves, but like others have said, if the company makes false claims about their product, what else are the saying that they can't, or won't back up?

Also, several of us have asked the rep about the return shipping deal. If they changed that policy, many of us would no doubt be a lot less hesitant to spend that much money to try them.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I could handle explanations such as...."the weight of the knives is negligible compared to weight of the discs, therefore any small variation in the weight of the knives would not cause the system to be significantly out of balance" or something along those lines. Or to try to make sure to sharpen the knives equally.

But Meg-Mo claims that the system is self balancing when there appears to be no law of physics or active self balancing mechanism in the product that would explain it. Given that the man cannot write a comprehsibile sentence, I find it unlikely that he is a genius that has discovered a natural phenomenon that Einstein missed.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just watched their promotional video...they make some other claims too which I find hard to believe. They say that Meg-Mo blades "vaporize clippings" and that they help the environment by using less fuel. Vaporize???? If that isn't over stating things I don't know what is. Do I need to wear a respirator so I don't inhale all that grass vapor?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I just watched their promotional video...they make some other claims too which I find hard to believe. They say that Meg-Mo blades "vaporize clippings" and that they help the environment by using less fuel. Vaporize???? If that isn't over stating things I don't know what is. Do I need to wear a respirator so I don't inhale all that grass vapor?
^^^^^ too much free time. Get more lawns.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plenty lawns.....office day...rain