Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

value of a landscape expert

I'm thinking of expanding into design and plant care(pruning and insect and disease treatment). To start out with I would like them to do the pruning, and treatments themselves since they should be able to ID the problems. As business picks up I would hope they would be able to delegate to other workers.

Any idea what the salary range of a person like that is? I'm in an area where most mow jobs are $35-45. A commercial job I lost on the bid had the pruning labor quoted at $35/hr for foreman and $18/hr for help.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I'm thinking of expanding into design and plant care(pruning and insect and disease treatment). To start out with I would like them to do the pruning, and treatments themselves since they should be able to ID the problems. As business picks up I would hope they would be able to delegate to other workers.

Any idea what the salary range of a person like that is? I'm in an area where most mow jobs are $35-45. A commercial job I lost on the bid had the pruning labor quoted at $35/hr for foreman and $18/hr for help.
Tough to say. Different areas will be different. Commercial IMO always goes for the lower(est) bids. I wouldn't say that bid is incredibly low, but it should be higher. I bid at $35/MH. That is pretty good round here. If you sell yourself as an expert and target the right crowd, I think $35/MH is good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks diamond. I'm not an expert and might be looking to hire an expert to handle all shrubs, bushes, and trees. Would you say someone like that is worth $25/hr not including expenses?

I'm the turf pro and there seems to be a niche market I might be able to reach with someone who knows plants, when to prune, and how/when to treat diseases/pest.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
thanks diamond. I'm not an expert and might be looking to hire an expert to handle all shrubs, bushes, and trees. Would you say someone like that is worth $25/hr not including expenses?

I'm the turf pro and there seems to be a niche market I might be able to reach with someone who knows plants, when to prune, and how/when to treat diseases/pest.
$25 hour not including expenses sounds bout right. I would suggest taking a plant id course at your local Hort program, you will learn a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
$25 hour not including expenses sounds bout right. I would suggest taking a plant id course at your local Hort program, you will learn a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Keep in mind that someone who knows what they are doing is easily a $13-18/hr employee, so you are now looking at $38-$43/hr.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Keep in mind that someone who knows what they are doing is easily a $13-18/hr employee, so you are now looking at $38-$43/hr.
Agreed. We are at $32.00 per man for that type of work. Foreman lead or otherwise. The costumer assumes we know what we are doing. And we do. Going to school and taking classes, reading all the time. Its an ongoing prossess. Start high, at $32.00 PMH we are low. Arborest are more in the $45.00 PMH range in our area.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

let me clarify what I'm asking a little more..... I'm a mow and lawn app guy. I will prune if the customer ask, but don't like to. I'm considering hiring a guy to do all my pruning work when it needs to be done. Maybe offer a quarterly pruning program and with his knowledge prune what needs it and when it should be done. I'd also like him to be knowledgable about pest and disease so he could treat that also.

duties - knowlege of plants and how/when they sould be pruned. knowledge of pest and disease and how to treat. Able to work, market, and interact with customers.

So I'm asking what someone like that should be paid. Considering he may have a college degree or at least many years experience I would assume he would be paid well. Don't think this is someone I could afford, but seems there might be a niche market for someone who mainly deals with the upkeep of plants in my area.