Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help!

I posted a thread in the fertilizing forum about the probs with my lawn, but I guess those guys dont want to discuss organic at all. Anyway, my lawn is in bad shape after 1yr with a local company applying ferts. For years I did it and although lawn seemed a bit stressed in the summer months, never like this. Its completely dead in areas, and I water. My lawn used to be the talk between neighbors for the good. Now for the bad. So, I want to start organic. Looking for products to use (Milorganite?) and the pro's and cons of organic. My yard is 16,000sq ft of KBG and I live in Northeast Ohio.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start with a soil test, asap. I think it would be safe for you to aerate and over seed, and top dress with a good quality compost @1/4". I would personally recommend a quality mix of turf type tall fescue and KBG. JDL (Lesco) has a good one in their teammates plus mix.

Once you get the soil test back, lime as needed for pH, and check the CEC and %organic matter to determine how to proceed.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
Start with a soil test, asap. I think it would be safe for you to aerate and over seed, and top dress with a good quality compost @1/4". I would personally recommend a quality mix of turf type tall fescue and KBG. JDL (Lesco) has a good one in their teammates plus mix.

Once you get the soil test back, lime as needed for pH, and check the CEC and %organic matter to determine how to proceed.

Good luck!
Thanks, I actually get a soil test every year around this time and do any lime myself and I also have lawn aerated every fall and then I do the overseeding. I'll get the test done asap. But no access to compost. So what products are good that I can apply year round?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say to pm Barry Dracutt(phasthound). He has a lot of good products that could help you.

How is your soil's organic content? What is the cec? You would need about 6-7 yards of compost. I would do more research in your area and see what you can come up with.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

So I was at Home Depot last night for some electrical outlets and just happened to run into a product called Secret Garden 100% organic lawn fertlizer 11-2-3. 1 30lb bag covers 5,000 sq. ft. My lawn is 8,000 so I bought 2 bags and just put it down. Has anyone heard of this product? Results? I wish to God there were organic lawn care companies around here so I didnt need to go through all this.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest problem with synthetics is, too much all the time... most experienced lawncare pros have learned when to back off... others have learned to blame other things...

I doubt that your lawn needed fertilizer because it isn't growing, number 1 and number 2 the ferts that stressed your lawn to begin with hasn't been used up either...
There is no magic bullet, just take it easy and start treating the lawn as a living being not a concrete deck that's getting chipped and worn...
Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want organic and something that can't and won't burn the lawn look into ICT bill's program for compost tea, he sells it ready-made you just mix it up and apply it as needed. With 6K lawn a gallon would easily last you a season I think, so it's perfect for you.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT777 View Post
My yard is 16,000sq ft of KBG and I live in Northeast Ohio.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT777 View Post
30lb bag covers 5,000 sq. ft. My lawn is 8,000 so I bought 2 bags and just put it down.

Thanks.
So how big is your lawn?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
So how big is your lawn?
I'm sorry. Its just that my front lawn is on my mind because its so badly burned. Both front and back lawns are about 8,000 sq.ft. give or take. I own a construction company, so Im no dummy when comes to working. Thats why Im looking for info so I can do it myself. I called just about every lawn care service in the phone book. Nobody does a whole organic program.

On anothe note, should I stick to the organic way myself, what would you recommend for grub control that I can buy easy, and should I put it down in start of July?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you really have that many grubs that you need to automatically apply control every year??? I wouldn't imagine grub control until I dug up damaged turf and found the grubs...

Growing grass is the simplest thing in the world...

for this time of year you can start overseeding and spot spray the broad leave weeds a few weeks before the ground freezes... You can 'pull weeds' anytime of the year.