Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Im use to push prices by depth. That makes it easy for me and no dispute about how long your there.The bid wasnt real specific with what rates to include. I'm going to throw in other rates for equipment that might be used. I would have to put a 3-4 hour minimum cost for anything that I have to rent.

I have a 8' blade with a tailgate spreader and a 6' 1/2 blade. A couple 2 stage blowers and a 4 wheeler with a 4' blade.
Might be good time buy you a V plow if you get the job
I cant live with out my 2 V plows move more snow faster and easyer
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
How many square feet is the parking lot? It would seem to me that based upon that picture you do not have the equipment necessary to do the job....what would you be renting? Most places that rent equipment rent them seasonally so you would probably have to have another contractor come in. Most of them that have equipment will be using it during storms. Be careful what you bite off. even if you got by with the plow trucks....a tailgate spreader there would be an absolute nightmare. You would have to fill it up like a hundred times.
Tailgate Spreader nice for little lots
Like Nepatsfan said be a nite mare have to fill that up 100 times in one lot
Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you dont have at a minimum a skidsteer with a box, this site is not for you......we have a winter like last one and you will be SOL w/ 8' plow on that site--however a skidsteer with a small pusher/puller, a 1 ton with a larger plow V or blizzard style with a good spreader and you could bang this place out
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
if you dont have at a minimum a skidsteer with a box, this site is not for you......we have a winter like last one and you will be SOL w/ 8' plow on that site--however a skidsteer with a small pusher/puller, a 1 ton with a larger plow V or blizzard style with a good spreader and you could bang this place out
I would agree. You feel indestructable in august. Wait until you have a blizzard and the truck with the 8' plow and your spreader loses a tranny or even something simple like an altenator in the middle of the night. You didn't have the right equipment to start and now it is a panic.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

try to envision getting snow away from those garage doors and out to the end of the lot with a truck plow. you would need to push it to the middle then make a BUNCH of passes to finally clean it up.For me it would be futile. i don't know your budget but maybe you could rent a skid from a rental yard or from another contractor who might otherwise let it sit during the winter. You would also need some cash for the pusher. I would think that even not having a skid with a cab wouldn't be a big deal on this property to clean up the garages...just "cowboy" up for a couple hours ...good luck i hope you can make it work,
Steve
Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I would rent the skid steer or sub if possible. The back of the office looks like the biggest challenge to me. Since I have to push it 100' and go around the corner to stack. The front parking lot is about 75x150 the back is around 40x150. I could measure them later in the week.

So you guys think its to much pushing for a normal plow? I would need a V or side wings? I could sell the smaller one and try to find a v. I did talk to a contractor that did it before and he said they were throwing snow over the fence. So Im assuming he didnt have a loader either. He wouldnt tell me how many hours it took either. i know it would be a nightmare with a foot snow on the ground.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It looks bigger than that in the picture. If that's all it is than you may be ok. Rental places rent out their skid steers for the winter generally. You will have a tough time renting one for the day in the winter. Pushing the snow 100' isn't a big deal as long as you stay on top of it. A skidder would make your life a lot easier though.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From quick scaling and measuring is somwhere between 40-60,000 sqft of pavement. You should be able to do that with your set up no problem in my opinion. My question would be more on your experiance and knowledge with plowing a bigger commercial site. Hw qualified are you to do it? On the same note everyone has to start somewhere.
My next question is what happned to the last guy? You said you talked to him about it? Did he quit? Are you bidding against him? Why is he answering your questions if he is still in the picture at all?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

A home improvement company built and sold the site to the current owners.

I worked as a driver for a few years but that company provided the vehicles. So they paid a lower rate. Last winter I wasnt even going to plow but we had close to record snow falls. So I quit the part time and did that as a solo with 22'' on the ground. We had almost our annual snow in one storm. So part of this has nothing to do with experience. I like having a set storm price that me and the customer know in advance. Less problems later.

Its billing discrepancies. If i bid a job at 3 hours and it takes 5 I take a loss and deal with it. If I bill for 22 hours for one storm and they think it shouldnt have took more then 8. Theres major problems. There has been serious litigation in this state after last winter with snow removal and clearing snow from roofs. There was companies charging 110-150 per man hour for roofs. They handed the town a $300,000 bill for 3 schools. Another company charge $350 per machine and had a 100 subs working for them, they billed the city 5.9 million. Both the above are still trying to collect. There was a investigation into price gouging.

So I want to be competitive and not gouge. At the same time I got my eye on a f450 and would love to recoup that money this winter. On the other hand if we go to previous snow falls. I wont have a chance. It almost becomes invest for a chance to make money for three months or the whole year. I talked to my insurance agent and plowing is covered in my policy. I wasnt sure because a previous policy excluded snow coverage.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

most of us look at snow equipment as an "long term" investment. I don't think many have hopes of making back their expenses in a single season.
Must suck to have to wait for 5.9 Milliion