Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2011, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using a centrifugal pump to irrigate from pond

I think I would like to try to irrigate my dads 2.5 acres using a centrifugal pump pulling water out of his well-filled pond. If I can get 50-100 GPM rather than 22 which is what our well gets, I can use less wire, possibly fewer valves, and bigger heads with bigger nozzles. The pond is pretty clean, and the intake will have a filter on it and float elevated within the body of water.

I have found centrifugal pumps from $800-$3000 which will provide 60-100 GPM at 50-200 PSI.

Can you all give me some "look-out-for's" or reasons to not do this. Also I am looking for a good brand pump or an anticipated approximate price range.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the electrical supply close enough and large enough to handle the new pump?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not really sure. Yes there is one close by, but I'm not really sure what we'll need as far as line size. Running a new line isn't a big deal because it's only about 30 yards from the house connection.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you don't use a straight centrifugal pump, because their efficiency peak is at a very low output pressure. You would have an easier time using a jet pump, with system flow maxing at about 25 gpm, which is plenty of flow for 2+ acres. You also save money by running a 1 HP jet pump versus a 2 or 3 HP centrifugal.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I could get almost 25 gpm straight out of our well. I want to accomplish 50-100 gpm for bigger zones or bigger heads. What would be my best option for doing this? I know that generally we would not do this for a 2-3 acre lawn, but I would like to do this on my dads place to get a new experience in with drawing te water from a pond.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

K.i.s.s...........
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonTW View Post
I want to accomplish 50-100 gpm for bigger zones or bigger heads. What would be my best option for doing this? I know that generally we would not do this for a 2-3 acre lawn, but I would like to do this on my dads place to get a new experience in with drawing te water from a pond.
A new experience is what you're gonna get when the pricing comes in.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well and that could certainly change how we do it. What extra costs do you anticipate I'm looking at? Just the electric and pump? Do you have an idea of what I could be planning to spend on a pump?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I once devised a 30-40 gpm system to run from a 1 HP straight centrifugal, but it would only work with way-oversized pipe feeding an entire one-third-acre lawn as a single zone. Nice exercise, but not practical, or economical.

There is no useful experience to be had with using a straight centrifugal from a pond. The reason is that there are no sprinkler heads this side of a Maxipaw that can use the low-pressure water put out by a centrifugal. When you see a straight centrifugal pumping from a pond, the odds are very good that the pump is wasting electricity by operating at a higher output pressure than can be had at its efficiency peak. A 1 HP jet pump way outperforms a 2 HP straight centrifugal at pressures needed by standard rotor heads.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for the information! Very valuable. So I'm presuming that Jet Pumps are quite a bit more expensive. Can I get a jet pump that will match what I'm looking for for flow rates?