Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cost For a Lightening Plan

What would I expect to pay for a lighting plan. The house is on a 10K size lot with lots of trees and shrubs. I am looking to spend maybe $5K on the install. I don't know where to start. My home is on a corner and I have done a good job landscaping it now I want to show it off a little in the evening. The street lights are not close so I am pretty dark. Is my $5K too low to get anything nice?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

like all things, it depends, but on a 1/4 acre lot 5k can make some things happen. I have had clients tell me they have x dollars to spend at the beginning of the conversation, and I try to give them the most bang for thier buck for that x budget if it makes sense. rarely can you get everything you want for what you want to spend, but sometimes calling in a pro will reveal to you what you could have that you are not aware of.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be sure your leaving room for expansion of your system too since 5k probably won't get all the lights your looking for. Meaning its not worth spending $300 for a transformer when you will just need to spend another $300 down the road, go with a larger transformer right off the bat for say $450. Get what I mean, best talking with a local lighting pro will be the place to start, its not just sticking lights in the ground, haha

Cost for plan, maybe a couple hundred, but some contractors might give you a credit if you let then install to.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

5k is a fairly accurate ballpark for a 10k landascaped lot.
I'd recommend contacting a AOLP member, Texas has many to choose from:http://www.aolponline.org/search_by_state.asp
Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you may want to talk to your insurance about a "lightening plan". As far as lighting, $5k will get you plenty of light. I would go LED if I were you.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by all ferris View Post
I think you may want to talk to your insurance about a "lightening plan". As far as lighting, $5k will get you plenty of light. I would go LED if I were you.
Think they would reduce insurance? How does LED hold up in high temperatures?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Think they would reduce insurance? How does LED hold up in high temperatures?
I have been using kichler led for about the past 3-4 years with no problem. It was 103 here the other day. The only thing that has been a problem is the paint fading on some of the earlier fixtures. They have a 15 year warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by all ferris View Post
I was thinking about maybe 20 lights around the house and maybe get a 300watt transformer for future expansion. And would use LED. How long would it take a guy to wire that on a one story home with 110V available on wall.
I do landscape but don't have a feel for this lighting cost....look at some John Deere books and they seem to handle quality lights.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My lighting designs start at $450 but I'm in central Texas. Others in different parts of the country may charge more or less for their designs.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We do not flat rate our design services. Most often we will consult, prepare a design and specification package and then charge an appropriate percentage of what the procured and installed lighting system would cost. As no two lighting systems are the same, no two lighting designs would entail the same costs to prepare.

All too often I see lighting contractors, distributors and even manufacturers offering "free" lighting designs. Not only does this undermine the pro's out there, but it does nothing to help improve the contractors who become reliant upon these 'designers'. Just remember, you do get what you pay for.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA