Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-28-2011, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyota71 View Post
I have 6 of the STIHL HL-100's with the 0 to 135 degree head on them and I run them 12hrs a day and NEVER have had a problem ! Now the 0 to 90 degree head that Stihl used to make was junk and would strip out. The new style are dam good. I tried very hard to blow up a gear box,but it wouldn't !!!!!! I also have the 81T and the ?45 and they are good and strong. I blew up 3 Echo gear boxes in one summer and I even snapped the curled part of the bar that is in side the gear box. The 0 to 135 is the way to go as the have such a nice balance and aren't to heavy ( NOTE: Once you get used to it )

Troy.
Buy a Homelite. When it tears up throw it away. Everything has it's limitations. If I spend over $340, it better have a freakn warranty from the dealer.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgagrass View Post
What do you guys think the best hedge trimmer is and why? I have a Stihl but just not overly impressed with it. Have been told by alot of people that Shindiawa and Redmax are the way to go. Just looking for your opinions. Thanks.
Buy a Homelite. When it tears up throw it away. Everything has it's limitations. If I spend over $340, it better have a freakn warranty.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnaird007 View Post
Buy a Homelite. When it tears up throw it away. Everything has it's limitations. If I spend over $340, it better have a freakn warranty.
Blades on the home owner models are quite different, all the commercial ones are dual action and are real knife edge blades. It is not like buying a cheap string trimmer and just put in a Speedfeed head and you are good to go. I am sure if you just doing cut back, it really don't make much difference, but if you do serious hedging I think it is important to have a quality hedge trimmer.

There are cheaper hedge trimmer that is commercial quality like Kawasaki in lower $200 range. Also there are Tanakas, Redmax and Echo have cheaper models. Even cheap home owner brand are no $99 special, they are more in the $170 on up range.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Tanaka gearbox is nowhere close to the design of the Maruyama. Maruyama has two ball bearing for each gear one on each side and it has roller bearing on the connecting rod. Tanaka has very few ball bearing and no roller bearing on the connecting rod.

Because of that, Tanaka is a lighter which is important. Both Tanaka and Stihl have the fewest bearings, therefore are the lightest. So it all depend on which is more important.
In your opinion, what is the major advantage of the extra bearings?, I have a mate who swears by his Stihl. Having never owned A trimmer other than my Tanaka Pole Trimmer, I am unsure what I should be buying, and appreciate your view.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_d3 View Post
In your opinion, what is the major advantage of the extra bearings?, I have a mate who swears by his Stihl. Having never owned A trimmer other than my Tanaka Pole Trimmer, I am unsure what I should be buying, and appreciate your view.
I don't think there is a survey on one hedge trimmer with more bearing compare to one with less. For one, very few people run hours after hours on a hedge trimmer like string trimmers. From reading here, it is more like when the blades get dull, people just replace the whole trimmer instead of sharpening.........which I have no idea why.

But if you look at other equipments that being used much more often, the more expensive they are, usually the more ball bearing they have. Also ball bearing help to run smoother. I am just being an engineer looking at the theoretical side. In reality, I am sure you can make one without ball bearing to last a long time. Look at Echo, they have very few bearings but they are known to be rugged and last a long time. I have no experience with Stihl, but there are a lot of love hate relation with Stihl. I don't own one so I am not going to comment further on this.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

KAWASAKI. We had one for several years and now have two. Very light weight. Less than 10 lbs. I think its a model 600S? Low cost. Less than $350.00. Starts every time. Hot or cold. Low vibration. Not reel loud either. And the big one besides it being light, is it does not smoke. You can trim a long time and not get smoked out or tired arms. Would buy a third if we needed it.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

i would recommend the kaw hedge trimmer over the maruyama and stihl. i bought a kht600d years ago and it is still running strong with a lot of commercial use. i think i paid under $330 for it 4 years ago. for a heavy duty commercial unit at this price i was amazed to see it cut better than other models in the $450-$500 range. i was so happy with it i picked up a couple of string trimmers as well. my crews grab them first thing in the morning. the orange stuff is the last to go out. everyone likes that they start on the first pull and are really light weight with more power.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Echo trimmer and an Echo PAS 265 with the articulating hedge trimmer attachment and 3 foot extension. Ladder use has dropped very much with the PAS attachment. The PAS attachment is worth every penny paid!!
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymcdusty View Post
i would recommend the kaw hedge trimmer over the maruyama and stihl. i bought a kht600d years ago and it is still running strong with a lot of commercial use. i think i paid under $330 for it 4 years ago. for a heavy duty commercial unit at this price i was amazed to see it cut better than other models in the $450-$500 range. i was so happy with it i picked up a couple of string trimmers as well. my crews grab them first thing in the morning. the orange stuff is the last to go out. everyone likes that they start on the first pull and are really light weight with more power.
600D gear box has just a good design as Maruyama's. Only one complain from a person here that run quite a few 600D in Las Vegas. He has problem of over heating and shutdown during summer where temp goes up to 110 deg. Never burnt, but after 15 minutes of running, they would stop, and he poured cold water onto the cylinder and started them again. It was happening on ALL the units, so it's not a defect problem. We talked extensively here like two years ago. That's the reason I bought the Maruyama instead.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently have a 24" echo and I am stuck trying to figure out if I should get a redmax or a maruyama to further complicate matters I am thinking of a single sided 40" blade but then in the back of my head the idea of a 24" articulating one keeps popping up. Why should i go 40 versus 30"