Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Smile sources for commercial holiday lights

Hello
I will be decorating our City Hall this year, and would like to begin using LEDs for obvious reasons. This will be an easy 2 day setup and may branch out next year to include several of our other municipal buildings but do not know where to purchase them. Since we are a municipality and have to steer clear of any decorating which may offend any particular group or religion we usually just use the warm white lights. At any rate, if anyone knows of a good, dependable commercial light vendor, I would appreciate the tip.

Thanks Randy
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of us are aligned with a manufacturer, actually quite a few of us are with Holiday Bright Lights in Omaha. I would imagine you could call them and speak with Mike in regard to the situation and see if they would be in a position to assist you.

I also do business with Holiday Light Source in Lubbock Texas. They are very friendly and I have not had a bad experience with them whatsoever.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

sure dont want to offend anybody with tradition
Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help sir...I just became a customer of Holiday Light Source. And it is amazing how things have changed in the last decade or two. I would assume you can do almost anything decoration wise with a residential. Good site!!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had good luck with litesource as well. I think I sent addicted there the first time as well back in the day. good luck.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know Dave, you are most likely right. I tend to listen to everything you say quite intently and I hope everyone else does as well.

I just sent Mike an email asking him to upgrade me to platinum, I broke everything I generally use down and even being below the 4k mark for on hand stock, I am still saving a bunch of cash.

Unfortunately, I was trying to once again do the renewals, cheat a bit with the estimator software which does save a ton of time when things are going bonkers, and the damn file has an attitude. Even trying to load the update Mike sent me.

We already got a call from a lady who was searching the internet. I have to try to put together a rental program tomorrow as well as that is what she is most interested in. She said this year she "will" do more than normal as she is hosting a Christmas party on the 10th.

For everyone new to the business, pay close attention to what Dave and Bryan say, they have been in the biz quite some time and are both very successful. I don;t mean to slight anyone else here, but these guys pop into my head. There is a ton of info and advice people are willing to share. Good luck to everyone this year, you WILL make money!!
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am at $0 for on stock items..I need to pull the trigger on basic supplies to get a head start...timers,cord, gilbrt plugs..c9/c7 cord/bulbs, bows......wreaths...I bought a bunch of clips and stakes last year..I am already getting calls for some new work..probably 4 the past week..I am working on meeting them hopefully this weekend or by Monday or Tuesday..how much stock should I keep on hand?..
Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first year, I didn't go to crazy with on hand product what so ever.

Now, I will be ordering 2 roll and 2 cases of c-9 clear, 50 each male and female plugs, 1 cases of garland and 4' wreaths - MN series, 3 cases landscaper clear, 1 case contractor clear, 16 timers, 1 cases 18" red and gold bows. I will buy all the leads here locally, and am also going to order a roll of SPT2 bulk cord from holiday light source to make smaller leads.

Get yourself a plug in am and volt meter, appliance type to make sure you are not over loading circuits. I did last year, and for $25, it is probably the tool I use the most.

I do not carry c-7, I do all bushes in mini, some trees - customer request. I do all roof lines in c-9 with 12" spacing. MN series is already pre-lit. I do not use LED unless specifically requested. I also do not carry and of the ornaments either. I still have several starbursts from a few years ago, had a client the requested them, then refused them. I also do not carry light links in stock.

That is awesome that you are already receiving calls. Have you got any catalogs?? Truly, the HBL catalogs are awesome. I did not hop right on the band wagon so to speak for the Platinum Level, but sent Mike an email this am and am moving up to it.I have to get the lead out of my behind, the first round of the direct mail program goes out I believe around the 15th. I generally do not get to many calls off the 1st, the second really gets people going. We start hanging November 1st as commitments allow.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 09-25-2011, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just received the catalogs and videos on Friday...watched those...but the designer isn't loading up as my laptop is saying I am out of memory?..I guess I need to buy another stick of memory. I am going to use the post office direct mail and see how that goes..I just need to create a postcard. .14c a card..and you pick the routes you want it in...I was thinking about 15k in postcards sent out..how many have you guys send out in the past?...probably 2 rounds of 7500..
Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just asked Mike to move me to the Platinum level, already had to requests, WOW. Bryan told me that years three and four really take off, I think he is really onto something, LOL.

I have only done the HBL program. Dave would be the one to ask about designing a post card, he does a large amount and in my opinion a well rounded friendly expert. I listen (ok read) very intently to what he says. I believe that we end up doing about 7500 post cards a year. For me it is easier to have HBL do it, costs more, but I only have to review the zip code results and say ok or no change to this. I really don't have the time to try to design a couple different post cards and such. I actually part take in the three rounds with HBL. The first one goes out October 14th, 2nd one essentially November 1st, then again November 15th.

I did do a large amount of advertising with the Chamber of Commerce the first year, and it paid off, last year I did the same and joined a second and got nothing, not even a tire kicker.

I did have an add run on the radio November 15th-December 15th, landed one job off that and profited $200 after the cost of supplies, and the commercial. Now that project is all profit. I will do it again this season as well. If nothing else when people hear the commercial and you are there working on their home/business it builds credibility. When someone sees you drive by, again builds credibility. For me, it has been well worth it.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger

Last edited by addictedtolandscaping; 09-25-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: grammer