Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Re-charge for application if rain came

We have a couple customers complaining their weed applications did not work. When I go back and look at the weather history I find a thunderstorm went through over night with heavy rain.

My question is, should I re-charge for an additional application or just reapply? We try to watch the weather, but when you live in Wisconsin the forcast can shange by the hour.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it is just a couple customers I would re-apply at no cost. Making sure to follow label instructions for re-applications. Rain should not affect an app if you sprayed during the day and it rained overnight. Do some checking on your concoction.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DA is right. A half hour or more is usually enough to absorb herbicide. But the late summer annuals are tough to kill. It is your risk--customers don't want excuses--they want the weeds gone, for free. Spurge is most likely. Crabgrass also.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do it n/c, the client will remember that when its time to renew & they have an estimate from a lowballer!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weissihm View Post
We have a couple customers complaining their weed applications did not work. When I go back and look at the weather history I find a thunderstorm went through over night with heavy rain.

My question is, should I re-charge for an additional application or just reapply? We try to watch the weather, but when you live in Wisconsin the forcast can shange by the hour.
weiss

Looking from the customers point of view that is a PRETTY LAME EXCUSE for them still having weeds..............I am going stop here rather than say what everyone is thinking.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't imagine charging one of my customers for something he had NO control over.

I've only put together a few quotes for 2012 (my 1st full season as an applicator). In each, I've budgeted 5-6 extra hours for spot-spraying. If it takes that, I'm covered. If it takes more than that.....shame on me. If it takes less, I'm a winner.

In either scenario, my customers will be taken care of.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what about those customers that irrigate imedeatly after a lawn treatment?

like it or not, this happens quite often-

i was on a property earlier this week, i hadnt even finished - i came around to the back
trimming egdes, and they had already put the sprinklers on

but what about the others, that will chuck the leave behind paperwork in the trash without reading it, and turn on the water as soon as you leave? not there to see it
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My job is to educate the customer as well as treat the lawn. If they are home, there is no excuse for not knocking on the door and giving them a quick rundown of what you've done and what they need to do to get the most out of their lawn treatment. So, IMO, there's no excuse for them turning on the sprinkler as soon as you pull down the street. Weather is beyond anyones control. If they have weed issues after that, make sure you are mixing/doing things properly. You also need to ask yourself how much a backpack of weed control really costs you. I think you'll find it's a lot cheaper than losing a customer over hard feelings about being charged for a respray. JMO
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Ted was spot on. Before I make apps in a customers property that has a sprinkler system, I make sure I talk with them the day before about shutting it down. If they are home, all the better, they get to have a little education while I go over the leave behind info. Riggle is right, Ive found that 45 minutes is generally all you need for set time.

Don't charge them again, that's a lose lose for everyone involved.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

vencops, that's a great idea to budget for some extra hours. Next year will be my first full season as well ( have 5 customers this fall who are going to start). I think I will follow that example.