Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scag Tiger Cub Starting Problem

CV20S 65597 Kohler. The starter just clicks. I ran a wire from the battery to the solenoid and it starts right up. I can put a battery booster on the battery and it starts right up. I put in a new starter and switch, still clicks. I ran a second gnd from battery to starter mounting bolts, still clicks. The voltage on the wire to the solenoid is 12.8v.

So if the relay is bad it wouldn't start with the battery booster right? So no value in replacing it.

I am stumped...
Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whaaat..... No one else wanted to jump this band wagon ?

I'll take a guess.....

Ed,

Can I assume when you checked voltage on the solenoid activation wire you had it disconnected from the starter ?

If so check voltage on this wire with it still hooked up to the solenoid, This will give you a voltage reading of the entire harness under load.

If it starts on a booster battery (adding more amps to the system) and starts with a jumper wire straight to the solenoid (bypassing the starter relay), Sure sounds like burnt/corroded contacts inside the relay causing a voltage drop under load......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think that since this a unit with 2500 hours I might have more than one problem. But I know that a new starter and start switch and relay out of my Walker didn't fix anything. Since it started with wire straight from battery to selenoid(which still is puzzling). I took the connectors all apart and cleaned them and lubed them. For a moment I thought that made things better but back to clicking.

So I got my battery booster all charged up and ran the system on it(battery disconnected)and the units starts. So I charged up the battery (which was needed) and it starts the unit. So Duh...I tricked my self in believing the battery was good because I wrote 2/09 on it so I thought it should be good especially since it was reading 12.8volts...obviously that means nothing.

With all that said, I am NOT sure I had the volt meter connected at the selenoid when I was trying to start it. I am going to keep this battery in the unit for awhile so I can do that test....as Rob said.

This battery is reading almost 13.1 volts after charging.....I am letting the volt meter attached to see if that goes down