Register free!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Power coming back on common

I walked into a problem. A Hunter ICC clock with 32 zones. Zones 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,11,13,14 do not come on with the clock. When I put a multi-meter on the clock, there are multiple stations with showing power. Oddly enough, the zones that work, 6,10,12,15,16... do not have power. (as they should not) There are multiple common wires, 5, coming into the central wiring box. As I tested, one of the common wires had 25.7 volts coming through it. I realized this is why the zones on the clock were reading power. I am thinking I have a solenoid that has gone bad letting power through. Also, I have 3 Valve boxes under water. I pumped them out and pulled the wires up to dry. They appeared fine but...
So the question is...How would it be possible for multiple zones to want to fire, ie. the hot common?? Would one bad solenoid do that?? Would the problem only occur when the zone with the bad solenoid fires?? Apparently not!! How can I locate which solenoid is bad without checking all 11 that are not working?? My brain hurts!!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It doesn't really work like that.

How much voltage were you reading you stated that multiple zones had power?

what were your ohm readings from the zones? ( Ohm readings when diagnosing valves in the field is much more important then voltage)

The power can only be produced from it's source right? In this case it's the controller.

Sounds to me like the controller is fauling up. Some others may be able to enlighten you more with this specific controller. If you search on this forum you will see similar situations. The command module may have gone bad? Faceplate bad?

For testing purposes Swap the zones around and see if zones that weren't working before are working on the working ports ( Ie swap zone 1 that wasn't working to port 10 to see if the original zone 1 wire works on port 10) again ohm out the valves first to make sure you have a proper reading
Old 08-27-2011, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Check your ohm readings first with each wire disconnected from the controller. If you've got multiple commons you will have to find the common for that run of wires. With the wires disconnected, check the output at the terminals on each module. Do the zones in question still have power output?

With so many zones not working, it sounds to me like a loose/ broken common wire?

And there may be bad modules too. I have had Rain Bird, Weathermatic, and Hunter modules go bad. Most of the time it's just no output on the ones I've found though. You might try removing and reinstalling each module, then resetting the controller.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't want to repost it but here is a good troubleshooting flow chart to print out.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=12
Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the link. I will print that out when I get back to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I'd do would be to unplug the clock, remove the battery and let it sit overnight. A lot of times, "pilot error" is the cause.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys but no one has touched on why the common wire has power coming through it?????
Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"power" from where to where?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

when i put my amp meter on one of the commons from the field, it is showing 27 volts, the other commons have no power, as expected. Not sure why the bleed back on the common
Old 08-27-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

meters have two leads - we got that you touched one of the leads to a common wire, so tell us about the second lead