Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-28-2011, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Need advice from Isuzu owners

I'm planning to buy a NPR for our lawn service route.

The one I'm looking at has about 100k miles.

How often are you changing your oil and what are you paying if you are having a shop do it?

I called a local shop that services med and heavy duty trucks. They said every 10k and they charge $220.

I would like to hear anything you can tell me about these trucks pro and con.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
They said every 10k and they charge $220.
I don't own an Isuzu, but I'll be damn*d if I'd pay $220 for an oil change! I put 15 quarts of oil in my 7.3, buy an extra gallon, of course the oil filter, and a brand new fuel filter all for $110 or less just about every 6 weeks(4-6k miles) give or take. I store my burnt oil in 55 gallon drums and carry the oil into a shop that uses a burnt motor oil furnace, they gladly take it.

edit: Good luck with getting the truck man, I've heard great things about them! I just think you can do the servicing yourself for a whole lot less.

"Perfect Is Good Enough."

Lifted 7.3 Powerstroke, Exmark, Stihl, Echo, John Deere 110 Backhoe(was just stolen from us, southern states keep your eyes peeled).

Last edited by ATLandcare; 08-28-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own one, best truck you could ever have if you are doing commercial mowing. Mine is a diesel with 200k miles, and still runs like a champ.

Oil changes aren't terrible (if memory serves me correct) the oil filters are about 70$ at Napa, for the bigger of the two oil filters. And then I always use Rotella, which isn't terribly expensive.

But I would not ever take it to the shop for an oil change, its really easy to do, and all items are pretty conveniently placed.

Also, I have been changing mine at around 7k miles most the time, or if I just feel like it needs to be done i'll do it. But with that being said, I am normally pretty on top of all of my equipments maintenance.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroLandscaper View Post
I own one, best truck you could ever have if you are doing commercial mowing. Mine is a diesel with 200k miles, and still runs like a champ.

Oil changes aren't terrible (if memory serves me correct) the oil filters are about 70$ at Napa, for the bigger of the two oil filters. And then I always use Rotella, which isn't terribly expensive.

But I would not ever take it to the shop for an oil change, its really easy to do, and all items are pretty conveniently placed.

Also, I have been changing mine at around 7k miles most the time, or if I just feel like it needs to be done i'll do it. But with that being said, I am normally pretty on top of all of my equipments maintenance.
Thanks for the info, 200k that's great.

How much would you think it costs to do the oil and filter change yourself?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLandcare View Post
I don't own an Isuzu, but I'll be damn*d if I'd pay $220 for an oil change! I put 15 quarts of oil in my 7.3, buy an extra gallon, of course the oil filter, and a brand new fuel filter all for $110 or less just about every 6 weeks(4-6k miles) give or take. I store my burnt oil in 55 gallon drums and carry the oil into a shop that uses a burnt motor oil furnace, they gladly take it.

edit: Good luck with getting the truck man, I've heard great things about them! I just think you can do the servicing yourself for a whole lot less.
That's what the guy said when he found out the prices being charged at the local "Cat House".
Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ttt Any other Isuzu owners?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 Isuzu's, a Fuso and just lost a UD due to accident. Cab overs are so easy to service it is silly to send them in. On the Isuzu's the oil, fuel and transmission filters are all canister types that are very easy to change. I can't tell you the prices of the filters off the top of my head but we service them ourselves and save a bundle. If I can plan ahead enough I order the filters and whatever else I need online and save even more.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

We have three Isuzu trucks, two are diesel and one gas. We have the oil changes done @ a Valvoline shop and they keep the filter on hand for us now, runs about $85 /$60 (gas) per change . The diesel OEM oil filter runs about $25 $8 (gas) alone so that plus oil and our time to lube and dispose of the old oil/filters it. it just make good sense to let them do it all for us.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I have two nprs 2002 and 2004 both with about 75000 miles. I changed the oil the first time and its alot of oil to deal with 12-15 quarts per truck. I found a shop down the street that does them for me for 75.00 each with filter. After buying the filter and the oil its about the same price to let them do it. Its very simple to do, just having do deal with all the oil waste sucks. We do them every 5-7000 miles. Our routes are tight so we only put about 10-12 miles a year on the trucks, so twice a year usually. I have them change the fuel filter every other oil change also. Its about 35.00
Old 09-09-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2012 will be my 10th season on my npr hd diesel, best work truck i have ever owned!! I change the oil every 6000 miles. just turned 78000. Annual repair cost on this truck to date is approximately $300. This truck works hard all season long in the green industry & goes right into snow work! Isuzu cabovers are awesome class 4 worktrucks!