Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2002, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AltaLawnCare
Depends on how the load is distributed on the trailer, how much tongue weight.

Absolutely right, but this truck has most of the weight on the front of the trailer.
Easy to tell, go back and look at the pic, by far the majority of the weight is on the tongue of the trailer. With the front axle of that truck at the front of the trailer, those I - 6 engines Randy likes so good are very heavy, hence a ton of tongue weight.
I will be the first to admit a stock Ford would hang down in the butt too, but so would this Dodge IF, IF, IF, IF the trailer were resting all its weight on the truck.

MDB for once you and I agree on a truck issue.
They have a good engine, but.............................

If I was planning on pulling this load on this rig because of weight distribution I would have loaded the tractor with the back duals right on the end of the trailer. This way the weight is centered just ahead of the trailer axle, it should ride good this way.

Last edited by Brickman; 11-03-2002 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Summitgroundskeeping:

I feel your pain. You know how some guys get when it comes to brand loyalty. I think most of it is based on their personal experience. IMO, when it comes down to it all three brands are so close in performance and capability stock from the factory that your choice can probably boil down to which truck you like the best as far as looks and comfort. As far as the new Dodge Hemi engines are concerned, they are so new that I don't know that you will find many guys with any experience with them. 16-18 mpg?? I would be really surprised unless you are talking about running straight and level on the freeway with no load. The 345 hp sounds like a lot, but that is up around 5000 rpm. I'm not sure where peak torque is, but if its anything like other late model gas engines it will be up around 3500 rpm or so, so I don't know how usable that torque would be. If I were to spend the big bucks on a new 3/4 ton pickup to plow snow and pull trailers with, it would be diesel, because they have the guts at low speed where you need it. If I were just a poser who wanted a truck with big tires but never a need to do any work with it, I'd get a gas engine. Speaking of gas, I've probably just thrown a little more on the fire!
Old 11-04-2002, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: For you barely literate people

Quote:
Originally posted by summitgroundskeeping
Com'on on guys. I specifically asked about the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with the Hemi. I pull landscape trailers with power equipment and landscaping materials. I just want to know if these are good trucks that can plow, have good MPG (supposedly 16-18), can tow, maneuverable, and are okay to drive normally when I'm not working. Any of you guys have real experience with that?
Please if not... don't ramble on about your specific brand of loyalty.
Relax,the trucks are fricken' 2003's. Nobody is going to have had enough time on them or to have put enough miles on them to give them a fair shake. Any info is going to be BS or speculation anyways.
Personal opinion, diesel only. They don't put gas motors in semi's or dump trucks or ANY truck that is going to be used to get something done and get it done with reliability. I don't see gas motors in skidsteers or loaders either. WORK vehicles and related equipment get diesel! Pickup trucks are turning that direction very much so. Like horsejockey said, you need low end torque hauling heavy loads, you don't get that with gas motors. Enough said.

This should rattle you gas guys! Giddyup!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OKAY! Finally! I can get on here, my computer wouldnt let me get on this thread for some reason.

First off, that dumb *** picture. You must be joking. Come on! This semi truck has almost all of its weight in front of the trailer axles, and the truck isnt sagging at ALL?! You could put a 1000 pound weight on the tailgate of any truck (Ford included) and it would sag (barely, but it would sag) and this one isnt sagging at all, even under that huge load? Doesnt this seem a little suspicious? Also, look closely right behind that Dodges back tires, what do you see? Looks to me like trailer lifts, on the ground holding the front of the trailer up! More Dodge propaganda.

Secondly, this is to whom it may concern, dont get ticked at us with our brand loyalty! We are having lots of fun argueing about this, and if you dont like that, DONT READ IT! Its that simple. Ford Freaks and Dodge Dummies and Chevy Chasers will always argue, its a part of the great American culture! Like baseball and apple pie, crazy truck owners argue!

This is simple as well, remember this and you cant go wrong. Ford rules, Dodge sucks, Chevy sucks even worse, and gas, well, dont get me started on gas!

Seriously, get a diesel, both the mighty powerstroke and the cummins are excellent engines (the Powerstroke is better though) but stay completely away from teh Duramax. It really sucks. It may be more expensive to buy diesel at first, but they pay for themselves by being reliable, long lasting, and pulling darn near anything that you can ask it to! I have a 1995 F-350 with 241000 miles on it, that will out tow darn near anything out there, including the new trucks! And it still runs just as good as the day it was bought!
What I am saying is, dont get the Hemi. I had a second cousin on my grandfathers side who had a brother that had a friend who's father had a friend who's uncle.....just kidding! No, my Dad had a Dodge 2500 Hemi once upon a time, ( I drove it a lot) and it got bad mileage, didnt tow so well, (it was fast though) and it seemed like it was constantly in the shop. He sold it and got a F-250 diesel.

FORD RULES!!!!

Old 11-04-2002, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got more pitures,...
But, since everyones getting so uptite, I'm not gonna post them anymore.

I guess its OK to brag about your truck, and others like it, only if its not a Dodge!

I won't show the pictures of Drag races, sled pulls, documented Dyno tests, pulling a jumbo jet, etc.
Or my personal favorite the pictures of the pistons and rods of a Powerstroke, Duramax and Cummins side by side.

I'll go away now, and leave this friendly little battle fully defeated. And thes past three years, here I was thinking I had a good truck....oh well Silly Me!

I'm just gonna have to face the music that everything I own is junk.

Worst of all is the fact that I tied up this thread from all the many who I'm sure has many road miles on a new Hemi....

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 11-04-2002, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now hold on a second! I wanna see a picture of a truck pulling a jumbo jet!
Sorry if I got a little to excited there, just got carried away in the heat of the moment!
I am not saying pickups cant haul that stuff, I know my truck could tow a semi, and a jumbo jet, if it was modified enough. What I am saying is a stock truck couldnt do those things. If we get into modified equipment we get into a whole different ring.
Please, post all the pics you want, just dont be surprised if we Ford Freaks find every inaccuracy in them!
I would like to see that picture about the ramrods though, could you post that one? I have always wondered just how much thicker those things are.

(Ford still rules)
Old 11-04-2002, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Swampbeast, they had the connecting rods at a Cummins open house I went to once. They are MUCH larger (Cummins than the Powerstroke). Not that I've ever heard of a Powerstroke breaking a connecting rod (at least not without hydrolocking)! I don't think it's that big a deal, but to me, it just goes to show how much more heavy duty the Cummins is compared to the Powerstroke.
I had a friend that used to have a 1st generation Dodge/Cummins. He turned up the pump as far as it would go (not too far on the 1st gens) and did a lot of major hauling. He has routinely pulled massive logging skidders, Semi tractors, and even pulled a semi & trailer out of the ice once (freezing rain iced tires to ground). Of course he was using a stretch rope and got a good run at it to get it out. I'm sure you can come up with just as good of Powerstroke stories. The real trick is though, he had 200,000+ miles on the truck when he sold it after wrecking it. It was rebuilt (truck, not the motor) and it's still going strong.
AltaLawnCare, don't sweat it. We'll just let the Powerstroke boys think they got an engine that can run with a Cummins. Although there are obviously exceptions, law of averages say you'll be driving your Dodge with the original Cummins long after their Powerstroke has been replaced.
Summitgroundskeeping, sorry about the bastardization of your thread. Did you look at the other thread I linked to in my first post? That's probably about as much information as you're going to get right now as it's such a new motor.
Swampbeast, your father must not keep trucks long if he's already had a hemi motor in a truck and sold it! The motors only been out a few months.
Randy
Old 11-04-2002, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats kinda what I always thought, maybe the Cummins jsut went overkill on the pushrods, but I would still like to see it.
Oh yeah, I got lots of stories like that. Everything from yanking a bulldozer out of mud to towing a school bus out of some high water on the road.
He he! Nope! We didnt keep it long at all! Three weeks and two hours exactly! It sucked that bad. Tried towing a trailer with it, yuck. Went back to diesels. (and Ford) And my Dad rarely keeps cars longer than 6 months, he just gets whatever he wants to drive, then sells it back to the dealer a few months later! I wish I could do that.......I will say this for the Hemi though, it was one FAST truck! I could smoke lotsa other cars with that thing. So its not a total loss. Does Hemi have a website by any chance?

Oh by the way, a friend of mine just bought a 2003 Dodge 3500 dually. (with the Cummins of course) He and I are going to wait for all this dang rain to dry up, then we are gonna hitch em up back end to back end, and see how it goes! Will let you all know how it goes..........

And Randy, 200,000 miles on a diesel truck is nothing. Mine has 241000 on it now.

Yall have a good day!

Old 11-04-2002, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't take that picture, I scanned it out of a magazine. It was from a TDR magazine about a year ago. I went back and thumbed through old issues and found some members' pictures. That one claims to be stock. Some of the others don't say one way or the other.
I used to have a website address for the pictures of the engine components, but, I can't find it now. I can't go to the TDR site and search because my membership is out.

I've seen many threads where fords are yukked up, but let one little post brag about Dodge, and World War Three starts!
Dodge must be the black sheep of the truck family.
BTW, although not much weight,...I've had my bed full of fertilizer, and the 16' trailer loaded with the Kioti, aerator, and a walk behind aerator, and the truck sat level,...
rode great too.

I was hoping this could be a little harmless fun, but you guys are taking it way too seriously. Yuk up those Fords, Yuk it up.

Too much drama for poor ole Billy.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 11-04-2002, 05:14 PM

Alta I am sorry if I hurt your feelings in my posting about that pic.

I also retain former opinion that there is no way that pic is real. That trailer is not hooked to the truck or we would be able to tell it from the rear sag. I have no problem with Dodge guys braggin, just expect me to brag too. Cummins is a good engine, I wish I could have a 12 valve in my F 250. I don't think the PS is as bad as some people would think.

For the record I smoked a Dodge from a light Sunday a week ago. He was almost a full truck length a head of me by the time I noticed the light turned and he was rollin. He tried his darnedest, but alas, it wasn't enough.

I have a friend with a cranked up Dodge that has only had one PS kick his booty. So they can all be made to out do the other one. It just sucks to be the guy that just got his booty whupped.