Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2002, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This picture was taken about 10 years ago, and it still looks like this today. LOL.
I've got to finish this car!
1970 Mustang

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 11-05-2002, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

True, the old Mustangs dont handle so well. Thats why I took my 68 and changed everything about it, the only thing that is stock is the frame and the body. Thats it! Steering, suspension, shocks, brakes, engine, tranny, seats, interior, roll cage, turbo, nitro, tires, rims, everything is all modified. So far we (me and the car club I am a member in) have a 9 second 1/4 mile. Working on getting a 8.75 second time! 6 speed racing tranny.
We also have a 73 Stang, just put a 460 big block in her.
Hmmm, looks like you need to sand her down some, and then paint her. Does it run? Cause if it doesnt, I would suggest replacing the engine with a monster. Like a 460. That would be cool!
I saw a 5.0 (I think in the 80s?) Mustang run a 1/4 mile in 5.32 seconds. Just think about that. Think how horrifyingly fast that is. 5.32 seconds. I would wet my pants!
I heard that Lingenfelter (Corvette tuner in Ft. Worth Texas) tunes 2002 Corvettes into 800 HP, 800 Ft/LB monsters that go from 0-60 in 1.97 seconds and run the 1/4 in 2 point something seconds. Top speed is over 260 MPH. Now I would ditch Ford in a heart beat if I could get ahold of one of those!

Old 11-05-2002, 11:23 AM

Those are some bad azz times!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think my Stroke would come close.

Oh wait, it is made for pulling big loads up the road.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've toyed with the idea of stroking a 302. There is a way to use a 351 crank.. This with aluminum Dart3 heads and a good carb, it would be pretty tough.

I would hate to spend the money in it and have a stock 5.0 dust me though!

In the early 90s I replaced the floors, shock towers, fender aprons, shock towers, doors, quarter panels. The body needs to be finished out and blocked. After the cut in is done (door jambs painted, etc. the engine and drive train need to be ready to go in so it doesn't just sit and get damaged.

I have pictures somewhere of it in a car cradle, I sand blasted the entire bottom of teh car and primed it with red oxide epoxy primer (an exact match for the way ford did it)

Lots of work in that little mustang.

I had some other nice Fords too, an 83 F150, a '66 Mustang with a 6 cyclinder. I sold both for more than I had in them.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 11-05-2002, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always hear people say that there is no replacement for displacement. i however built a small block for my 67 that can hold its own and lets the car handle alot better then with the front end weight of a big block.

Ford small blocks, though less common builds then chevies, can be built easily and with huge power gains.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

dodge (hemi)

I'm the one that just purchased the 2003 red Dodge (hemi), 2500, gasser. I was raised with chevy written all over me. those days are over. Put all the window sticker you want on your trucks, Ill stick with my Dodge. By the way---have a nice day!!!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A "2 something" 1/4 mile time is reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy stretching it. Top fuelers haven't hit that yet with 3500 HP.

But I bet my Cummins can get real close...........with $100,000.00 worth of mods!
Old 11-13-2002, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My local dealer has a few of the Hemi 's in stock,if they hold up 1/2 as good as they run they ought to be great trucks! These things are fast for 3/4 ton HD trucks!. Now on the diesel debate,being a 2 time Dodge /Cummins owner I am a little biased,truck to truck,there isnt anything better about a Dodge,it has a better turning radius,and is easier to work on,the Ford has better mirrors and way more configuartions.Now on to the engines,the powerstroke is a good engine,and they run great.But it really cannot be compared to the Cummins engine.IMO the Cummins B,and ISB are the strongest engines ever put in a pickup truck,by far.I dont mean horsepower,that can be changed on a Cummins easier than changing spark plugs on a gasser.Im talking sheer strength and durabilty.The Cummins is a medium duty engine,only the Cummmins is used in industrial applications,such as bulldozers,backhoes,excavators,loader,gensets,in addition to medium duty trucks,buses and boats.The engine is built to last and if you had one apart side by side,with a PSD,or have worked on /owned both,you would have to agree.My friends have PSDs, they are much harder to service/maintain than the Cummins/Dodge,even putting a 4" exhaust on a PSD is frustrating,working under the cowl with scraped knuckles.Oh the Cummins isnt the fastest truck stock,but they can haul the mail with afew and inexpensive mods.Mine is at 500hp 1000 ft lbs on #2 alone,very streetable,the PSD hits a wall at mid 400'sHp .As for the duramax ,it so far proven to be an excellent engine,IMO,and it has a ton of potential as far as power,there are already Dmaxes running mid 13's without a lot of mods,very impressive.The new 6.0 PSD looks like a winner so far too.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:24 PM

Quote:
the PSD hits a wall at mid 400'sHp

Maybe some of them.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Brickman,the only PSD's i know of tha make over 450hp on #2 only are Brian Kenny's white crew cab PSd,and Physcostrokers 96PSD. The injection pumps just arent capable of much more than that.It takes a ton of money to egt more.Now with propane,and nitrous i know more power can be had,but its the same for a Dodge.For lightly moded trucks the PSD is great,just add a chip,and your set they'll pull like a mule,with a Dodge auto,you need to do a shift kit if you add over 50hp,the Ford its done electronically when you load the chip.Brickman have you dyno'd,if so what is your Hp,and what is done to your engine?