Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2002, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm, I dont think your quite right with that statement about "the PSD hits a wall at about 400hp". Cause if thats true, my F-350 doesnt get the 550 HP that my custom shop mechanic says it does, and what the machine says. I just modified it somemore and now i have a tad over 1000 FT/LB
I have several friends with pumped up Powerstrokes, and they all have anywhere from 500 HP to the monster of the group, a 760 Horsepower and 1200 Ft/Lb of Torque Powerstroke diesel.
So I think your information is just a wee bit off there.
I will not argue with the fact that Cummins are easier to work on, that is true. But just cause something is a little more taxing to my patience doesnt mean its immpossible. And thats perfectly allright that the PSD is hard to work on, it doesnt matter! Cause it just doesnt break down.
What do you mean, "harder to maintain"? Could you explain that comment? Cause mine has been as easy as all get out to maintain.
Now, the Hemi is a very fast truck, I had fun stomping other people with it, but it got crummy gas mileage and it didnt pull worth a darn.

(now whats going on? I posted this poll, then John replied again, and his post went on before mine? What? I am confused....)

Last edited by Swampbeast; 11-14-2002 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Swampbeast,can i see your dyno sheet? Ill send you a copy of mine.Im talking on fuel only-no propane or Nitrous. There are many Dodges at 725-800hp with Nitrous,and propane. if you had 750 hp you would be tearing out trannys left and right.I betting your not even over 410hp #2 only,ill pay for your dyno runs if im wrong.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh! Fuel only! Sorry, no. I run propane. I must have misread something. My arguement is irrelevant then, this has nothing to do with what you were talking about.
I dont have 760 HP, one of my friends does, and he doesnt use it on a regular basis. Only for pulls and when he wants to go burn some rubber and pop some wheelies on the street. Yes, it does goes through trannies fairly quickly, gone through three in the past year.
I would be glad to send you my dyno sheet, if I knew what it was and how to get one! I have no idea what that is. How much does it cost?

Old 11-14-2002, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That statement is true homer. I read the article as well. That is one bad azzzzz car. They raced it against a blue angels fighter plane for kicks.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
That statement is true homer. I read the article as well. That is one bad azzzzz car. They raced it against a blue angels fighter plane for kicks.

Wasnt that the coolest pictures? That was awesome, seeing a Corrvette go streaking down a runway with a F/A-18 Jet tagging along behind it!
This die hard Ford fan would ditch all of his Fords if I could get ahold of one of those $160,000 machines!

Old 11-14-2002, 08:16 AM

John the only thing I have done to my truck is add a 75 HP chip, and 80 HP shot of propane. I have not Dynoed it, I want to but don't have the $ right now. 40K ago I had to install a heavy duty clutch, as the OEM went out.

By the numbers I should be doing 390 HP and 910 lbs of torque. But I don't think it is doing that. For one thing it just does not get enough air to use the full shot of propane with the chip.

I didn't realize that you were talking about fuel mods alone when you mentioned the power you seeing. I know that you can change the injectors and make a bunch of power just from that. Along with chips, propane, larger turbos, moster exhaust, and the list never stops when you get to this point.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

John, you very succinctly made the point I've been trying to make all along. And what's more you got the powerstroke guys to agree. I wish I could do that. As for maintenance Swampbeast, you're in south Texas so glow plugs are probably not much of a problem for you. But up in Missouri, where I hail from originally, it is real common to replace the plugs on the powerstrokes. I was talking to a friend of mine and his co-worker's 2001 (I may be off a year or 2 here) with 36000 miles on it wouldn't start in his garage. They had to replace the glow plugs. Other than that, maintenance for a powerstroke is no worse than a cummins, as far as I know.
Randy
P.S. Good news, I think I've found the flatbed I've been looking for. It's a '95 Dodge, so I'm saved from getting a powerstroke or Chevy diesel.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh! Glowplugs eh? A friend of mine (dont know if this is true or not) but he said it they would last longer if you plugged the diesel up to an electric cord on those cold nights. I do that sometimes when the temperatures get down in teh 40s.
Good for you! It might surprise you, but one of the trucks that I bought for Crew 2A is a 96 Dodge with the Cummins. I like them, I just like the Powerstrokes better, thats all.

Today is a great day isnt it? I dont know why, but I woke up with a great feeling today. Wierd.

Old 11-14-2002, 10:45 PM

Randy he must have gotten a lemon then. I have over 131,000 and the plugs are working F I N E. Matter of fact the block heater is out, and so far I am starting the truck with no problems on cold mornings.

Randy as for "telling the Powerstroke crowd" I didn't realize that you were talking about fuel mods alone, with nothing else. I can't argue with you on that with the Cummins, because I know nothing about them.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Enough about mods!!!! A Cummins diesel is made for serious work period. Inline 6 cyl for towing and work. No glow plugs, it has large massive bearings for durability,sleeved engine block(like any real diesel) reputation for reliabilty and major miles(300k+miles) Better fuel economy than a psd.