Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2002, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I think that is just overkill. I have never heard of any diesel engine having problems with the connecting rods. Personally, I think Cummins was just to cheap to make another whole set of connecting rods, so they just used the ones from an engine they already made and made em fit the smaller engine. Cutting corners........
Off the subject, but I saw an old F-350 yesterday in Louisianna that had a specially modified 5.9 Cummins in it. He said it was a 12 valve. It was pretty sweet! Now, I am just going on what this feller said, there might not even be a 5.9 with 12 valves, I dont know. Is there?

Old 12-02-2002, 10:10 AM

Swamper yes there is, and that is the the good Cummins. The newer 24 valves are more trouble prone. I have heard from mechanics that they work on way more 24s than the 12s. If I ever get rich and put a Cummins in my F250 it will be the 12 valve.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, there is. He didnt seem like a guy that would tell a bald faced lie, but ya never know....
That truck was really sweet. I wouldnt mind having one of those engines myself, we talked for a while, and he showed me what it could do. He got that F-350 to pop a wheelie right in the middle of the gas station parking lot! I was impressed. Very powerful, very smooth.
My Uncle Troy is a truck driver, and since I was at his house, and he had a fully loaded trailer hooked up to his Volvo semi truck rig, I hooked a chain up to the front end of his Rig, and tried pulling the semi (in Nuetral of course) and the trailer! Ha ha! My old F-350 did it, but not very well. Once I got the sucker moving it was allright, just getting that monster to budge was the hard part. It was fun.

Yall have fun at Thanksgiving this year?
Old 12-02-2002, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually I wouldn't say the 12 valve is the "better" engine, although some people feel it is. I personally think, along with a lot of others, that a good 24 valve engine is better than the 12 valve. The problem is, the 12 valves seem a little more consistent. A good 24 valve is not rare, but there are some bad ones out there. Almost all of the 12 valves are consistently good. The only real differences between the 12 and 24 valve is the head, and the fuel pump. As Brickman has pointed out in the past, these minor differences cause the 24 valve to have a slightly higher RPM band than the 12 valve. Both engines develop peak torque at lower RPM figures than the other P/U diesel engines, and they both have a very flat torque curve. The 12 valve is know for the "killer dowel pin" problem - a front cover locating pin that can come loose and muck up the timing gears, front cover, etc. There's a simple preventative fix for it though. The 24 valve is known for a little less consistency in fuel mileage and sometimes power levels, fuel pump problems, and in very rare circumstances cracked blocks (the first of the 24 valves, with block series 53). The 12 valve pulls better with 3:54 gears, the 24 value seems to pull a little better with 4:10 gears. Interestingly enough, even with the taller gears, the fuel mileage doesn't seem to suffer.
I think the simpliest, most dependable Cummins was the one they used in the 89 - 93 first gen trucks. That was a bulletproof engine. Horsepower was less, and was limited on how far you could go, but it could be made to honk on down the road just fine .
The 12 valve is used most often for conversions as it is mechanically controlled, not electrically, like the 24 valve. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can't really argue trucks, as they all have their strong points and some weak points, but I still believe the Cummins is the best powerplant going in light duty trucks.
Swampbeast, now ice the wheels in about 1/4" of ice and try to break the truck loose. My friend back in Missouri, pulled a semi w/ trailer out of ice with his '93 Dodge. He had to get a little run at it, with a stretch rope, but he got it out.
Randy
Old 12-05-2002, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MOPAR SUCKS!!!