Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Equipment Required For Startup

Been readng a long time first time posting. Been looking into starting up a lawn care business for next season on a tight budget to start with. Most lots in target area are 50' x 150' what basic equipment would you go with if you had $3000 untill you could slowly add. Make and model would help also. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What????

No F250?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you already have something to tow a trailer with? If so i hope this helps. This is general pricing for what i got on craigslist. Since you are starting up i wouldnt go fully commercial grade yet.

5x10 trailer......$700
Used wb...........$1000
Good 21"..........$300
Stihl fs55..........$220
Stihl bg55.........$150

Total=...............$2370

Starting a great career.......PRICELESS!

Again, This is the ABSOLUTE minimum and leaves a little room for repairs, edgers, new stuff! I hope this helped!
Stihl handhelds
Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyslawncare View Post
Do you already have something to tow a trailer with? If so i hope this helps. This is general pricing for what i got on craigslist. Since you are starting up i wouldnt go fully commercial grade yet.

5x10 trailer......$700
Used wb...........$1000
Good 21"..........$300
Stihl fs55..........$220
Stihl bg55.........$150

Again, This is the ABSOLUTE minimum and leaves a little room for repairs, edgers, new stuff! I hope this helped!

I like the input, but why Stihl and not something else?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyslawncare View Post

5x10 trailer......$700
Used wb...........$1000
Good 21"..........$300
Stihl fs55..........$220
Stihl bg55.........$150

thanks for you how many aaccounts did you have your first year?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally like sithl the best, however a redmax, echo, shindawa, or tanaka should do just fine. i would spend the extra money on the trimmer though because you will be using it like a prosthetic arm. $330 should get you an fs100x stihl trimmer. the best money can buy but so worth it. you need a 36" walk behind, try finding a good used one. BE SURE to do your research on what to look for on a used mower. a lot of them have been beat into the ground and will end up being a money pit.

good luck with the start up, remember this is your future, your life. Dont take shortcuts on anything as it will only come to bite you in the as$. Whats your company name, wheres the website? any flyers? its fun to talk about starting a business but how serious are you if you havent even put the effort into the small stuff yet. Being a professional is easy, but its a lot of work at first. Dont undersell yourself, you have the balls to stand up and create a company from nothing, that says a lot about who you are. this is only the beginning of a long journey for you, and might i say, you will enjoy every minute of it. Now go buy your set-up load it up, look at it, take a deep breath and realize that you have made the best decision of your life. NOW GET TO WORK, you have a legacy to create

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well for the first year keep it reasonable say 30 to stay safe. That is if you are solo.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy48 View Post
thanks for you how many aaccounts did you have your first year?
that set-up should be enough for 40 accounts.. 40 account with almost no overhead should be enough to support a family with

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

a push mower, $50 trimmer and a broom.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
i personally like sithl the best, however a redmax, echo, shindawa, or tanaka should do just fine. i would spend the extra money on the trimmer though because you will be using it like a prosthetic arm. $330 should get you an fs100x stihl trimmer. the best money can buy but so worth it. you need a 36" walk behind, try finding a good used one. BE SURE to do your research on what to look for on a used mower. a lot of them have been beat into the ground and will end up being a money pit.

good luck with the start up, remember this is your future, your life. Dont take shortcuts on anything as it will only come to bite you in the as$. Whats your company name, wheres the website? any flyers? its fun to talk about starting a business but how serious are you if you havent even put the effort into the small stuff yet. Being a professional is easy, but its a lot of work at first. Dont undersell yourself, you have the balls to stand up and create a company from nothing, that says a lot about who you are. this is only the beginning of a long journey for you, and might i say, you will enjoy every minute of it. Now go buy your set-up load it up, look at it, take a deep breath and realize that you have made the best decision of your life. NOW GET TO WORK, you have a legacy to create
Lot of good stuff said here. Thanks you clearly are enjoying what you do.