Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2011, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Thats basicall what Im running.

I dont know what the transmission would be, and as far as I know the Isuzu uses the same transmission as the GMC.
How many miles on your truck?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd probably go with the GMC mainly because of the gas engine and the purchase price, it'll cost you less over the long run (unless maybe we're assuming you will actually keep it to 500,000miles). The biggest advantage to the Isuzu is the turning radius.

I bought and '07 NPR HD last year with a 13' dump body for my maintenance truck. I probably wouldn't go that route if I were doing it again. The ride is absolutely BRUTAL, it tops out at 60mph and gets 10mpg. The 5.2L diesel feels very stout but is underpowered compared to the gas engine and in my experience just as thirsty. Just my .02c
Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
How many miles on your truck?
My truck is a 2000 Chevyrolet, with the old style 5.7. It currently has 108000 miles. It doesnt leak or burn a drop of oil.

These same cutaway are similar to what uhaul and penskee rents. They get far more weight put in them then we ever will put in them.

Both deisel and gas burners have their advantages

Pros of diesel is more torque and better milage and longevety.
Cons of diesel they are expensive to maintain. Harder to find someone to work on them. Hard winter time starts. Diesel fuel now costs more than gas. They also smoke and are loud.

Pros of gas. Less maintance, fuel systems are ecletronic for better realability. Easy do it yourself maintance. Parts eaisy to get resulting is less down time.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
My truck is a 2000 Chevyrolet, with the old style 5.7. It currently has 108000 miles. It doesnt leak or burn a drop of oil.

These same cutaway are similar to what uhaul and penskee rents. They get far more weight put in them then we ever will put in them.

Both deisel and gas burners have their advantages

Pros of diesel is more torque and better milage and longevety.
Cons of diesel they are expensive to maintain. Harder to find someone to work on them. Hard winter time starts. Diesel fuel now costs more than gas. They also smoke and are loud.

Pros of gas. Less maintance, fuel systems are ecletronic for better realability. Easy do it yourself maintance. Parts eaisy to get resulting is less down time.
Wow, that's low miles for a 2000. The 04 I'm looking at has 125k.

I haven't decided which truck I'm going to get. We may wait until about Dec. to get one.

This way we will have the winter to get it set up the way we want it.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 isuzu npr 16 foot box I bought with 58000 miles almost 2 years ago. It was an Aarons rental truck prior to me purchasing it. Im in louisiana and went to georgia to pick it up. The only problem I have had with it is rust. The truck had been in ohio previously and power steering line and one of the brake lines broke on me. I guess from all the salt in the winter on the roads. It has been a great truck. I also have a 2002 Isuzu npr with a flatbed style. The enclosed is only good for lawn maintenance and hauling annual color. It sucks for landscaping. If you want to see a pic of the enclosed one, do a search on here for "trailer wrap worth the cost". Mine is the one with the wrap on the box.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lvr2 View Post
I'd probably go with the GMC mainly because of the gas engine and the purchase price, it'll cost you less over the long run (unless maybe we're assuming you will actually keep it to 500,000miles). The biggest advantage to the Isuzu is the turning radius.

I bought and '07 NPR HD last year with a 13' dump body for my maintenance truck. I probably wouldn't go that route if I were doing it again. The ride is absolutely BRUTAL, it tops out at 60mph and gets 10mpg. The 5.2L diesel feels very stout but is underpowered compared to the gas engine and in my experience just as thirsty. Just my .02c
Tight turning radius is a plus for sure. Although, anything would be better than the 3/4 ton truck with 8' bed and 20' enclosed trailer with an extended tongue.

I need a football field to turn that rig around. I'm trying not to compare it to the current rig. I drive it but plan to have an employee drive the box truck.

I plan to purchase a second box truck once we see how the first one works out. This is making me lean towards the GMC, $23k for two instead $42k for two.

As far as miles I don't think we will put a lot on it, tight route. The truck I have now I have had for almost 3.5 years and it has 69k. We would put even less on a box truck.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The price on that isuzu is too high. I would focus on 03-05 npr. you should be able to find one with around 100k for 10-12k.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
The price on that isuzu is too high. I would focus on 03-05 npr. you should be able to find one with around 100k for 10-12k.
ok, thanks.

Anyone know of good places to find Isuzu's like this?

Also, what can we expect to spent on a dovetail and ramp system?