Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Roof Cleaning by Roofing manufacturer Method. Pressure washing Too! SW Florida

CHUCK BERGMAN PRESSURE WASHING - PLUS: NO DAMAGE ROOF CLEANING

BERGMAN ROOF CLEANING - SOFT WASH NO DAMAGE - RCIA CERTIFIED - CASH DISCOUNTS!

Bergman's Non Pressure "SOFT WASH" Roof Cleaning, Florida

This is Chuck Bergman's Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing Information page.

We are a father and son only business

As my ad says, I do pressure washing too, but the roofing manufacturers say specifically not to pressure clean roofing, so I don't.

Pressure cleaning a shingled roof removes a large percentage of the granules, that make up the surface and color of your roof.

ANY amount of pressure will remove some of your asphalt shingle granules! That is not debatable. Click below to go to these roofing manufacturer sites and read for yourself it's simple clear statement about not using pressure washing on roofing. Also note, they make no mention of any acceptable so called "Green" "Eco-Friendly" chemicals that should be used at all. Nor any "Roof-A anything" after treatments. I am all for "GO GREEN" as soon as the manufacturers say a product exists that they accept. None so far!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

From GAF Roofing Manufacturers about black algae removal:

http://www.gaf.com/Documents/Algae_S...-43-808-v3.pdf

Below is a partial "cut and paste" excerpt from GAF on how to clean a roof:

"If a new roof is not an option, GAF recommends cleaning the roof with a special mixture. That mixture is:
4 gallons of water, 1 gallon of bleach and 1 cup of TSP"

"What NOT To Do! Do not power wash the shingles to clean the shingles. Some roof cleaning companies offer this service.
However, it is not recommended."

From ARMA roofing manufacturers Association-how to clean roofing.

http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_217.pdf

Below is a partial excerpt cut and pasted below from ARMA:

Algae discolorations to remove from roofing surfaces, applying a solution of
chlorine bleach, trisodium phosphate, and water. Solutions for these ingredients depend on the amount of discoloration. Solutions range to one cup TSP and 2.5 gallons each of bleach and water.

{Note: they are suggesting up to 50% chlorine! Only these words in red are mine}

First, gently disperse this solution on the roofing surface. Avoid scrubbing the surface, as this friction may loosen and remove granules.
Caution!
High pressure washing systems for algae removal should not be used.

Owens Corning Roofing manufacturers says the same thing:

"USE CHLORINE and TSP" "DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER"

Corning info in link below.
Click Link, Go to "Do I need a New Roof" Then to "Algae growth" and read what the manufacturer says.

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=36077811

Even tile roofs benefit from our "NO PRESSURE" system, in that high pressure will send small pieces of tile and cement holding your ridges in place, off into space!

Also, if you have a finish on your tile roof, such as a solid paint coat or a glazing, high pressure can peel the paint or dull the glazing.

On anything but roofs, pressure is needed, so we also have a 3500 psi machine and a 2500 psi machine with us at all times to use as needed.

Another reason to hire us to clean your roof is - You may see competitors who say they are "Plant Friendly" or "Water plants well" WE EITHER WATER CONSTANTLY & OR COVER ALL OF YOUR PLANTS WITH TARPS.

That's as "PLANT FRIENDLY" as it gets in this business! Because this offers the maximum protection!

My son has worked continuously with me since 1994. So, if you have Black Algae on your Roof that needs removing, whether for:

#1. Health reasons: Those who suffer respiratory ailments are adversely affected by the airborne mold spores

#2. To stop the deterioration of the roof: algae eats constantly

#3. Aesthetics: many beautiful homes have their appearance spoiled by black, discolored roofs

#4. Because your homeowners association requires it.

Give us a call! You will be glad you did and your neighbors will be too!

SEE SOME OF OUR RECENT JOBShttp://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/5282jt/

Englewood 941-474-8883

Cape Haze, Placida, Rotonda, Grove City 941-698-1959

Venice, Nokomis, Osprey, South Sarasota 941-483-3673

Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, PGI, Burnt Store 941-255-8600
Attached Images