Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

need mower recommendation

Hi --

I've checked the other threads and can't find an exact answer/recommendation for my issue. I'll try to be brief.

1. I need a new mower for my residence. I do not mow for a living. My yard is about 0.30 acre of extremely thick st. augustine grass that I keep at about 3.75". It has a slight slope, but nothing dramatic. I don't want to use a lawn service, because I enjoy mowing, and like to dictate exactly when the lawn gets mowed depending on weather, irrigation, etc.

2. I currently mow with a Toro SR4 Super Recyler (21-inch deck), which is recently tuned and with sharp blade. I mow every 4 days -- always mulching. The mower tends to bog down a bit and I have to go slowly. It takes longer than I would like.

3. I'm interested in a mower that will cut my overall time & hassle (factoring in not just mowing time, but transport, maintenance, etc.) I don't want a riding mower -- I want to walk. I don't own a truck, so any transport of a larger mower (for servicing, etc.) would require borrowing a truck from my brother who lives 1 hour away round trip. And I don't have a ramp to get the mower into the truck. I can change oil & filters, but do not change belts or sharpen/replace blades.

4. Here are my thoughts on options. Please provide your input:

Honda HRX -- same sized deck, but might allow me to go faster due to stronger engine and better transmission.

YBravo 25/ExMark 26 -- not much bigger and will probably bog down too much due to large single blade.

World Mower 28 -- might be an option, but I'm scared that no one knows about it.

Used ExMark 32, Toro Proline 32, etc. -- quality machines, but really too big & heavy for what I need.

Billy Goat 33 (used) or 34 (new) -- might be a good blend of larger size but manageable weight.

Cub Cadet 33 -- probably not high enough quality, but might merit a look.

What are your thoughts as to these or other options? Thanks very much for taking the time to help!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I suggest raising the rear wheels on the mower you have first. That will allow more air to get under the deck and lessen the amount of bogging down. Leave the front at 3.75

Ocassionally on a dry day, bag your entire lawn so that there isn't so much mulch being fed to the plants. It's like a 7-1-1 fertilizer every time you cut and mulch and the lawn gets really thick.

Bigger engine, better transmission is good. I don't like a heavy lawnmower though.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

+1

In terms of the mowers you have listed it appears you have summarized each of them in accord with your needs fairly well. The HRX would probably be my choice but you may experience the same problems as you are currently having if you are trying to mulch thick, rapidly growing grass. Another alternative would be to find an old Lawnboy with a Duraforce engine. They will plow through anything. You can add a mulching fan to the mower although the old LBs are not as good at mulching as what you have presently.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to both of your for your responses. I mowed today with the rear height one notch higher than the front height. It did reduce bogging, which made things easier and faster. It also seemed to reduce the number of uncut random grass blades that I get. Being a mower junkie, I may still try to pick up a new (used) mower this off-season, but it's nice to know that for now I can do well with what I've got.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got a Cub Cadet CC 760 - do not waste your money, poor quality, poor cut.

But then, that is just my experience with one.