Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2011, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Irrigation system fed from a river

Iím a homeowner designing an irrigation system from a river. I am knowledgeable in the process of designs and installing systems (worked for an installer during my younger days). All systems we installed used city water to supply the system.

I have access and rights (approved by the DEP) to use less then 100 GPM from a river in my yard. However Iíll only use about 30 GPM. I have all the calculations needed for PSI loss, pipe sizing, pump sizing etc.

My question is what type of head would be the best way to go. I will install a filter on the main line (VU-Flow 30 or 60 mesh). My original thought was to use a Hunter I-20 or Rainbird 5000 but with all the research Iíve done on this site not sure if the Maxi-paw would be a better choice for river water. What makes me nervous are the negative responses to the Maxi-paw.

Not sure if this will help, but I will use a Goulds submersible pump (25GS20) with a 2 hp motor. The pump will be in a PVC well screen and rest on cinderblocks a few inched off the river bottom.

Iím grateful for any feedback I can get (negative to positive).

Pete
Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As a DIY guy, there won't be any issues with the Maxipaws you can't handle. They are a great choice for dirty water. Rainbird PESB scrubber valves will handle such water.

Make sure you have a pressure relief valve in your plumbing, since that pump can go beyond 130 psi
Old 09-03-2011, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

wet boots - thanks for the reply and the heads up with the pressure relief valve. The pump/irrigation shop I'm working with did not mention that high of PSI.

About the valve, I'll look into the rainbirds and do some research (don't know too much about them. However what are your thoughts on the Irritrol 700?

Pete
Old 09-03-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you get the PESB valves and Maxipaw heads, you won't have to filter the water so fine.

Pressure is one reason I favor the use of jet pumps for a system I install using poly pipe, since those pumps don't develop enough pressure to cause damage. That it is also an above-ground pump eliminates the problem of putting power wires into an accessible body of water, especially one you don't own. The Goulds pump I would have chosen is their J15S, with 25 gpm of useful flow, if it doesn't have to lift the water too much. In fact, with a 5-foot lift, and running Maxipaw heads, you can get almost as much water with the 1 HP J10S
Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Wet Boots - don't think I can use that pump. The dealer and I looked at many pumps that will draw up water, however I have a 25' rise to the bank of the river and another 15' elevation change to my house. 25' is at the max those pumps can handle. With the output needed of 25 - 30 GPM and a working pressure of 65 PSI the dealer suggested the 25GS20.

Rotor question, is there any gear rotors that would hold up to the dirty water? If I go with the Maxi-paw what are some of the common issues that is has?

Pete
Old 09-03-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ple_1969 View Post
Rotor question, is there any gear rotors that would hold up to the dirty water?
In my travels, I've never seen rotors pumping from a river. However, depending on the turbidity, you could zone the hell out of the system and use the largest nozzles. Sand and gear-drives are not good friends, though. Weather-Matic makes a good "scrubber valve" you might look into.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you clear about having approval to place a pump in the river? I don't take that as a given, not in New Jersey. (and if you tick off the powers that be, the DEP could pull the river-water permit)

Completely off the beaten path, but possible when you border a river with good flow, is a Ram Pump, which uses the force of the moving river water to pump it uphill to your location. No elevation worries with those, and no electricity used, and no issues with power wires. Once the water reaches an uphill holding tank, a jet pump can take over.

What size is the property? How much area is being watered?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll touch base with Trenton after the weekend just to make sure. I'm not sure I'll have the current needed for the ram pump. Here are some pictures of the elevation change.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like pretty clear water.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I take it the river can rise that 17-20 feet? In the absence of a pump in the river (including a ram pump, which won't work there) you could place a jet pump as close to water level as you dare. If an equivalent to a hinged floating dock could be devised, it would be possible to have a pump that stays a few feet above river level, giving you maximum performance.

How many acres of lawn are you watering?