Register free!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Mike - yes it does not rain for about a week the water gets pretty clear. However after the rain it turns cloudy. Right now it looks chocolate mike after the hurricane.

Wet Boots - the most I've seen this rises is 8 feet, and this is extreme (example post hurricane Irene). Most of the time it will only rise about 4 feet. I only have an acre to water. Calculated 6 zones with a max of 24 GPM per zone.

I'm not too familiar with the jet pump, how is this different from the centrifuge? Would it be able to push water 30' elevation change 150' and maintain 35 - 30 GPM with about 65PSI? I like the idea about the floating dock, I could make that work.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the feedback!

Pete
Old 09-03-2011, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

24-30 gpm for an acre is kind of a luxury. As for 65 psi, that all depends on where you are measuring it. You can easily manage an acre's watering with 15 gpm, especially from pumped surface water, because there is never a conflict with household use.

If you add a few feet to your uppermost river level, and set your pump there, you would have a lift of 10-15 feet. The Goulds J15S will give you 20 gpm at that lift, plenty to work with. The pressure won't be 65 psi at your property's highest spot, but that is not any particular problem.

A jet pump is basically a centrifugal pump with a portion of the outlet water routed back to the inlet, in order to increase the outlet pressure. It makes a pretty good fit with sprinkler systems, as you can see from performance charts.

the Maxipaw heads are plenty reliable as a sprinkler mechanism. The knock against them is that they have to operate from an underground enclosure which is open when the sprinkler is operating. Careful setting of the heads (slightly above grade) will minimize problems.

Besides the dirty-water capabilities, the Maxipaw gives you good coverage with less pressure than gear drive rotors need, and that figures in big-time on a pumped-water system. You can look at charts that make all the common rotor heads look great at 30 psi head pressure, but Maxipaws deliver great low pressure performance with a spread of coverage the gear-drive heads can't match.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Yup, its a 'wish' to have that GPM. The 65 PSI is at the pump. With the PSI loss for filter, mainline, elevation change, valves, laterals, fittings I calculated about 40 - 45 PSI at the heads. Being a son of an engineer, I created a jig to run different heads from my house water to test some of my calculations. Here is the Maxi with the blue nozzle shooing water at 30' at about 30 PSI.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2011, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Wet Boots - sorry, forgot to add a 'thanks' for info on the pump. Going to go to the Goulds web site to dig around.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maxi is the best (jeez, did I just say that?) for your application. However, if the client has certain types of dogs, those heads will be toast very soon. Not too happy about the choice of pressure gauge.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Mike - the client is me and I have an old Golder Retriever. Should I be concerned? The gauge is the Lowe's special. Looked to build this jig on the cheap to test test some the heads I bought. I know that Orbit is pretty cheap however this jig will be tossed out once my system is built.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those blue nozzles will even work well at 25 psi, and at that pressure, the gear-drive rotors look ill. Not that you design for 25 psi for rotors, of course, but your application will have have some pressure variations, as the river level changes.

If you didn't have to lift the water 20 feet, you could easily have a system on an acre fed by the 1 HP jet pump.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some dogs REALLY LIKE impacts. Terriers are my favorite, though my Aussie will attack them, too. Might be a good idea to set your jig up and see how your Retriever reacts to it. I once went to a cold call where the client said all his heads were destroyed, I looked at them and they were chewed to failure. I asked him what the hell had happened and he said, "fire your remote." I did, and two Jack Russels came bounding out of nowhere and attacked the heads. I shut the system down and said, "good dogs". Replaced the system with rotors and the poor dogs had to find something else to do.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

You made me laugh. I had the impact going just the other day so I can take some measurements and she sat under it getting wet. She is too lazy to chase anything these days.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

At the same time mike dogs like regular rotors too

My dog will run to every single rotor that is on and bite it

I just dealt with a pump system ran off a slough with I-20's and Rain Bird PGA valves. 8 years old.. Other then the pump freezing (which we replaced) it's been working fine.. Time will tell