Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-05-2011, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Homemade ztr tie down system

Well guys got bored today and decided to add a few safety things to my trailer. First, i added a homemade tie down system. I got the idea from the faststrap system. Total cost was about $7. Strap $5, bolts $2, and had wood laying around.

Second, I got some ideas off of here about making a lift gate assist, so I did and it works great! Also, added the orange reflective sign and added 2 pieces of iron to the gate for more support.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you bolt the straps down to the trailer ??? If nothing else take a 5/8 bolt and go through the eyes of the hooks?? It looks like it would jurk the front hook lose if you ever wreck. Like the lift .

When did Husqvarna start making Dixion mowers??? We have about 8 of the Husqvarna 30"cuts just like that from 2008 .. 16 hp B&S Do you have any more pics of the Dixion to see if they addressed any of the original problems? The problems i seen was the blade engagement cable and the drage bar from the front of the mower to the deck that holds the deck up in the front.

I would love to hear your personal rating of your mower, from someone else actually using them. Thanks.

Last edited by XLS; 09-05-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How long did that take you?

I applaud your ingenuity. I'm not sure how "safe" my 2 fastraps are (or, would be in the case of an accident). But, they work great at securing my ZTR, for transport.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's not going to hold the mower in place if you are in a accident. It looks like you sandwiched the strap between the board and the floor? That won't last long I can assure you. Besides that, if the bolts holding it down are only going through the wood, they can easily get pulled right through the floor. Did you reinforce the bottom with steel plates to stop this from happening? Not to knock what you did but that's not any safer then using a few bungee cords to hold it down. The lift assist looks like a Gorilla Lift system. Where did you get the rollers that the cable rolls on?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It would be so much safer to drill a 3/4" hole(or what ever fits inside the hooks eye) then using a carrage bolt sandwich it between 2-4'' 3/16''thick plates .
and the 2x4 jump will get old as well
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your range triangle looks nice and yes I see you put it on there for safety reasons and all, but that is a DOT violation as it is for slow moving equipment not highway speed trailers. And yes you can be ticketed for that.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Ven - Took me about 20 mins for the tie down system

Greg - yes i sandwhiched the strap. no i did not use a steel plate on the bottom, just a washer on eash bolt. I do use 2 other real ratchet straps (not quick release type) so i do feel safe when driving. Call gorilla for the rollers, about $25 with shipping and they work great! Can you give me some advice on how to do it correctly?

Birdhunter - thanks, i did not know it was a violation. Its still going to stay on though and ill test my luck

Here is how i built my lift gate assist and where i got my info: http://clubfte.com/users/jniolon/gir.../girlygate.htm

XLS - my rating of the dixon 30" would be a 9 out of 10. but i only have 50 hours on the machine and its 9 months old. Thanks for the advice on the bolts, i'll will look in to it.Check your PM
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

XLS - here are the pics. just put some loctite(thread locker) on that nut and travel with the deck touching the floor.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Advice on what? The straps? Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I just ordered the Fastraps. $40 couple dollars shipped to my door. I mounted them so the grade 8 bolts went through the actual metal frame of the trailer.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As for the rollers, I also ordered the Gorilla lift kit and I'm on my 4th year and second trailer with all original parts from the kit.