Register free!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Big fires and high winds

The winds have picked up here in TX and there have been a rash of wild fires throughout the day and some big ones still going. Send some prayers up for all the guys fighting them. The extreme heat, drought, and wind are a deadly combo.

I dont know him personally but I know there are some fires down where txgrassguy volunteers, so be sure to include him in the messages sent upward. The biggest one is in txgrassguy's area and they have evacuated a decent size town, and people are trying to get livestock out of the way by cutting fences.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Will do
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The fire in Bastrop, where I am pretty sure txgrassguy volunteers has burned 300 homes, and 1400 acres. Resources are spread so thin they dont think it will be put out for days.

The fire is so bad it is showing up as rain on weather radars. Winds are supposed to be constant at 25mph tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
The fire is so bad it is showing up as rain on weather radars. Winds are supposed to be constant at 25mph tomorrow.
I saw that smoke plume on the radar images tonight.
Crispy dry, windy, and fire are not a good combination. There are still wickdeeds that are flicking cigarette butts out of their windows out here causing grass fires along the highways.
I heard that there may be some small storms in West Texas where the lightning may cause even more wild fires.
Never thought I'd pray for a hurricane to come but a lot of people are out here.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The fire in Bastrop, where I am pretty sure txgrassguy volunteers has burned 300 homes, and 1400 acres. Resources are spread so thin they dont think it will be put out for days.

Hey you need to add an 0 to that. 14,000 acres and 400 homes as of this morning.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I heard the new numbers this morning. The winds are still high and I have not heard any new numbers for 6-7 hours. I figure the fire has spread to 2000+ and 450-500 homes.

I have a friend that is a manager at a store in Bastrop and he said the attempts at putting out this fire "is like trying to piss on a forest fire." Pray for rain, I just hope the hippies will let them start some back fires to put it out. The only way to get this one out will be to set some back fires at key roads.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New reports are 33,000 acres and 400+ homes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did not want to over shoot the numbers, but that closer to what I was thinking.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With very little containment they say. 1,000 more homes are in the path. Bad stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah I heard the new numbers this morning. The winds are still high . The only way to get this one out will be to set some back fires at key roads.
Just heard a NPR report that the winds are strong enough to cause the fires to jump a four-lane highway.