Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your search feature broken?
http://www.wonews.com/t-FeatureRepor...nd_100709.aspx
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Okay, the fire in my a.o. is out - finally.
Last details I was aware, the fire ravaged 3,600 acres; destroyed 24 residences but we saved over twice that; and the outpouring of support amongst the entire community has been simply amazing.
Time spent either at the fire hall or on scene was around 48 hours in two and a half days for me. Several personnel were working the entire fire.
Sunday, when the fire started, I was returning from outside of NW Houston from the Texas State IDPA match and got to the fire hall at midnight Sunday.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How is it going with brush maintenance? Has it been a big issue? I've seen how it affects the California fire seasons.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What brush maintenance?
This is the single biggest reason why the fire ravaged as much and as quickly as it has to date.
I simply cannot get land owners to understand the necessity to properly manage their grounds.
Waist high grasses, untrimmed trees, drainage ditches and fence lines over grown, etc . . . they want the "natural" look which really means they are too cheap to spent either the time nor effort to care for their property correctly.
Then they "wonder" why the fire destroyed their property and in some cases their homes.
The ranches that had cleared fire breaks, thinned stands of trees, lower height pasture grasses fared much better than the ones that were unkempt and overgrown.
So far my response to this fire has cost me well over two thousand dollars in lost gross revenue due to the rampant and inexcusable stupidity of some land owners.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was kind of guessing that was an issue. Californians, mostly, have gotten with the program, and I have seen plenty of signs reminding them to keep up with brush maintenance.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stay safe tx, good to hear you guys got a handle on it.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
What brush maintenance?
This is the single biggest reason why the fire ravaged as much and as quickly as it has to date.
I simply cannot get land owners to understand the necessity to properly manage their grounds.
Waist high grasses, untrimmed trees, drainage ditches and fence lines over grown, etc . . . they want the "natural" look which really means they are too cheap to spent either the time nor effort to care for their property correctly.
Then they "wonder" why the fire destroyed their property and in some cases their homes.
The ranches that had cleared fire breaks, thinned stands of trees, lower height pasture grasses fared much better than the ones that were unkempt and overgrown.
So far my response to this fire has cost me well over two thousand dollars in lost gross revenue due to the rampant and inexcusable stupidity of some land owners.
That is true. The state used to pay for a road maintanence program on private land around perimeter fences just for this reason. They were roads, but more importantly they were fire breaks. A lot of people used to burn every 5 years also, but the hippies started regulating that so heavy that most stopped doing that.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
A lot of people used to burn every 5 years also, but the hippies started regulating that so heavy that most stopped doing that.
Now, now, I'm a big believer in controlled burns, so don't lump me in that group.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Now, now, I'm a big believer in controlled burns, so don't lump me in that group.
Trust me, your not by any means what I consider a hippy. Swing by Austin and hang out on the "Drag" for an hour or two and you'll understand.