Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2002, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks John for all the insperation , you have me so motivated I want to go work in the rain right now . Oh hey Bill Phagen its Chris, Mels son I see Billy around here fom time to time .
Old 11-17-2002, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

85% Profit Margins!!!!

This one will get you thinking! 85%!!!! No industry? Maybe in the computer operating system industry.

My new operating system is set to be unveiled in 30 Days!

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1012571727088
Old 11-18-2002, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

john, you mentioned earlier in the post that there was more pressure manageing a 500k to 3 mil. co. than there is now. i assume you were more hands on then, and now have other folks managing for you. my question is how long did it take for you to entrust these people to these task? that to me would be more nerve racking than doing it myself. of course i do realize one cant do it all. but there had to be a time when you were unsure about letting others make large desicions that could affect "your" company..
Old 11-18-2002, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a process. It comes over time. It's definitely not something you wake up one morning and say "Ok, you make the decisions and I'll not worry anymore"...

And, the concern never really goes away. You always wait for the mistakes that come - and try to guide people away from them. However, once the mistake is made - jumping up and down doesn't help. Peoples own minds will terrorize them more than any boss can - and it's counter productive. It still hurts, mind you - but once you get to the point where you KNOW that no one mistake will put you out of business, it makes it easier to accept them.

New hires are never fully entrusted to make lots of decisions, and I find that they often (in the beginning) will bounce alternatives off superiors before coming to a conclusion. The trick is to guide them to come to one of the right conclusions without making the decision for them. And, there are always several right decisions.... and they may not make come to the same conclusion you do (or would), but as long is it is one of the right ones - so be it.

And, we give our people parameters about what decisions they can make without input from above and when they have to seek advice from above.

Again, it's a process. Anyone can start, right away too. Empower the mowing crew leader to make some decisions and then live with those decisions. Empower the guy running the mower to decide when to check the oil (but guide him to the proper conclusion by providing him/her with the owners manual).....

see what I mean?? We empower our employees all the time. It's just a matter of allowing qualified people the latitude to make intelligent decisions based upon deductive reasoning.

"Qualified" is the key term..... not all people are qualified to make all decisions (including you and me, at times)
Old 11-19-2002, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i see, kinda like my wife lets me make a few descissions, i think shes begining to trust my judgement. lol
Old 11-19-2002, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

$250,00 but he can't pay any of his bills
Old 11-19-2002, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tailoredlook
$250,00 but he can't pay any of his bills

???????

J & D PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
Old 11-19-2002, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

CashFlow

I think John has succeeded in inspirring all of us.......

There are 1000's of lawn/landscape operations out there with owners who dreamed of being in John's shoes but have probably managed to make a pretty decent living and said "what the hell?" Im doing alright now, why do i need the headache of getting bigger?

I am new at this business, hell, i dont even own a mower yet (accepting all old mower donations by the way) but I think the key to johns success was his setting goals and doing whatever it took to make them happen. He probably set his goals in achievable steps, ie, my first goal is to get 40 good residential accounts by year 2, in order to accomplish this i MUST do this ,,then this and then this..and if that doesnt work,,ill do this...ill keep myself open to all options to achieve my goal and once that has been accomplished (fingers crossed), ill move on to my mext goal of 60-80 residential accounts and some commercial accounts....keeping in mind that the only way to acheive ANY of these goals is CASHFLOW.....if i suck my company dry in order to buy the wife her new Expedition (sorry hunny) and supply myself with all the toys, i will have no solid financial foundation in which to help the company grow or meet my goals....patience seems to be the key as well...things take time. Determination is a must. Personally, I very rarely get dissapointed if something doesnt work out the way ive planned it, i fall back look at what went wrong, take a deep breath and look for other options/ideas to make it work. this is the way I run my personal life and this is the way i will run my business....but without cashflow, my company will fail. If i take too much out for lifes little pleasures, my company will fail. If i give up at every obstacle, my company will fail. It took john years to get where he is, he has admitted to making mistakes but he learned from those mistakes and didnt throw in the towel everytime something didnt go his way. From what i gather, this biz can be brutall, alot of guys have come and gone for a multitude of reasons. my goal in year 5 is to be operating at least 3 crews. is this dreaming? No, the only person who can stop this from happening is ME. John I appreciate your advice, cander and willingness to share your personal financial info. I would still like to do what we were talking about before i went to france if that is possible, say in FEB?

thanks again,

Ken
GreenPro
Old 11-20-2002, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like u have a good plan Ken. Keep motivated

Tom

J & D PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
Old 11-20-2002, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

luck

Thanks Tom,

Of course i could use a little luck as well....

Ken