Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag Advantage Vs. Velocity Decks

My backup mower just quit and it's not worth repairing. My dealer has a tiger cub with an 48 Advantage deck on it. I'm running a 52 Velocity on my wildcat. What are the differences in cutting ability between the 2 decks. I looked under the Advantage and it does have the ajustible front baffle. I do cut both St. Augustine and Bahia lawns. Will I notice a great difference in the cutting of the Bahia.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

BUMP

I want to know also. I just bought a 2003 Scag 48 Tiger Cub. Am I correct in assuming it has the Advantage deck? And if so, can someone tell me the pros and cons of each?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've heard the velocity plus decks do a better job. it's not that the advantage does a terrible job it's just the velocity decks are better.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know lol,

what was your back up mower that died though?? If its a ztr I might be interested if you want to get rid of it.. PM me
Old 01-13-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The advantage deck cuts well in everything but wet conditions. In wet conditions it has more clumping than desired.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
The advantage deck cuts well in everything but wet conditions. In wet conditions it has more clumping than desired.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK, thanks for the input. I'll be using it mostly for trimming and small confined areas and picking up leaves. My old Scag Super Z broke the crankshaft last season, and even though it performed well, it's not as fast as the Hydros. I might put a motor on it or sell it like it is. The JD 997 does most of the large acreage.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went ahead and purchased the mower about 2 days after the original post. I really like this mower better than my 52in wildcat. It is smaller and lighter and more responsive. I have also found that it will go places my wildcat won't but that's just the smaller 48 in deck.

I do like the advantage deck better than the velocity deck. What I have found is that it doesn't spit dirt and grass clippings out the front nearly as bad as the velocity deck. I have tried adjusting the baffles on the velocity deck and when I get it adjusted where it has little blowout it won't cut Bahia worth a darn.

Since the advantage has very little blowout I have installed the full mulch kit. I haven't used it in full summer growth yet but it has worked great with leaves. I haven't used it in wet grass yet either but I think it will bog down and clump up with the mulch kit on it.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
They do clump more, but around here they cut stem grasses better than the Velocity. I think you will be very happy with it on the Bahia
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I dont know lol,

what was your back up mower that died though?? If its a ztr I might be interested if you want to get rid of it.. PM me
Jiggz,
The backup mower was a old Toro. The deck had been reworked and the left hydro gave out. It was a 2002 model and it stopped moving at the lake edge down a hill in my customers yard. I had to get my loader with forks to pick it up and carry it back to the trailer. I'm in the process of making a spreader/sprayer and will be using many parts off of it. The engine will be a backup for others.
Thanks for asking.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You will love mulching St Augustine with it. With the mulch kit on and baffel all the way down it has good suction and not too much blowout. However, it will cut the Bahia better without the mulch and baffel all the way up.

Congrats on the purchase and I hope it is a good mower for you.