Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawaski 25 hp Sputtering. Help!

I have a Super Z Kawaski 25 hp, 900 hrs, that started to bog down when I engaged the PTO. It quickly got worse and now it is sputtering at high RPM and will stall under a load. I have changed the, air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs, no change. I pulled the plug lead off both spark plugs and it will stay running (barley). I am looking at the coils, they are rusty, flywheel is really rusty. There is a pickup on the flywheel, it has a little rust on it. Maybe a fuel pump? I pulled the only vacuum line I could see off the carb, it goes into the head of one of the cylinders. There was no vacuum. I am down to changing Fuel Pump, Coils, or Carburetor. Any suggestions at all would be great. Thanks, Blane
Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A valve check/adjustment doesn't cost anything and could very well solve your issue.....

Don't worry about the rust.... It's just a myth that it affects the ignition....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks,

I will try that before I spend any more money, As an update, I cleaned off the rusty flywheel, double checked the spark plug wires for any signs of wear, and loosened the fuel line to the carb (fuel squirted out when I removed the clamp, so I put the clamp back on and figured the pump must be working to have pressure there). Anyways, It ran fine for about 1/2 hour, now it sputters every once in a while when loaded, but I am able to mow.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was having issues with my engine running similarly to yours.Found the problem was a deteriorated fuel line inside of the gas tank causing issues.It was slightly sucking air at a bad connection, the hose had distorted.Just another thing to check.Thanks Ethanol
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had issues like that. it was pretty seldom but then all of a sudden it stayed that way.

turned out my choke was stuck. I basically strapped the choke open and it solved the problem. Really only needed the choke first thing in the morning any way.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaigle View Post
Thanks,

I will try that before I spend any more money, As an update, I cleaned off the rusty flywheel, double checked the spark plug wires for any signs of wear, and loosened the fuel line to the carb (fuel squirted out when I removed the clamp, so I put the clamp back on and figured the pump must be working to have pressure there). Anyways, It ran fine for about 1/2 hour, now it sputters every once in a while when loaded, but I am able to mow.
Souns like a coil is going. I just went thru this with my 28 Kawi. Turned out the coil was slowly getting weaker and weaker until I could pull a plug wire and it would die some of the time. I decided to replace that coil after a few tests, that took care of it.

But I noticed a puff of smoke, and some backfire when starting, when I started it several times this week. I decided to adjust the valves (say every 300 hrs) pulled the cover off and there was an oring, and a wire seal loose between the valves. I decided to put it together and have the mechanic changes the valve seats etc tommorrow. Have you adjusted your valves yet?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our 25 HP kawi on our wright stander ,with only 500 hours was sputtering also.We changed fuel filter,fuel pump,air filter,spark plugs,replaced blades,cleaned the carb still sputtered;so tested compression,checked the coils all good.Our mechanic noticed a bent spring on outside of the carb,he straightened the spring and the sputtering stopped.We probably snagged it on a bush and didn't notice it,till he went through all the other steps and finally figured it out.I don't know why we didn't notice it first, but it didn't hurt to replace all of the other parts;now we have a great running machine.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
Our 25 HP kawi on our wright stander ,with only 500 hours was sputtering also.We changed fuel filter,fuel pump,air filter,spark plugs,replaced blades,cleaned the carb still sputtered;so tested compression,checked the coils all good.Our mechanic noticed a bent spring on outside of the carb,he straightened the spring and the sputtering stopped.We probably snagged it on a bush and didn't notice it,till he went through all the other steps and finally figured it out.I don't know why we didn't notice it first, but it didn't hurt to replace all of the other parts;now we have a great running machine.
When they were working on mine the shops helper told me it was my valve guide and it was gonna need to be replace. He even showed it to me on the engine. The owner got involved (luckily) and said "wait a second. Why isn't 'this' moving." 'This' being a bar attached to the choke.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If it's running fine without a load and then under a load acts up I think its your fuel system or carburetor itself.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Blane......I have a 23 kawi that had the same issues as yours. After replacing the coils, adjusting valves, replacing fuel pump and filter, new (correct) air filter, draining the fuel tank....it still ran the same. I removed the carb and dropped it off at the dealer. He told me that they could clean and reassemble this carb without a kit. He charged me $52 labor with tax. I installed the carb and fired it up. Problem gone....it runs like new. MJ