Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They would also do trips to vegas with a ditch witch raffle at a dinner atop the stratosphere
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh, those late summer specials on Nelson sprinkler stuff. What great systems they must have produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Ok. So let's say you were still buying a lot of those Richdel valves all the time. And they came to you and said, "Hey, Boots. We noticed you buy quite a bit of our product. We'd like to show you a little appreciation for buying so much of our product over the past few years. Would you join us on an all-expense paid fishing trip up up on the Salmon river for 3 days?"

You'd say no? "No can do. Thanks anyway. I'm just interested in buying your valves. Nothing else."
But a rewards program always reaches for more. Richdel would want me buying heads and controllers, too. Imperial would want the same. It's only in more recent years that single companies have done an adequate job of presenting a full product lineup.

Last edited by Wet_Boots; 09-07-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Ahhh, those late summer specials on Nelson sprinkler stuff. What great systems they must have produced.
You older gentleman may know, did they ever produce anything worth buying? Always hated their heads , clocks and valves. Any clock that will not run electricly without good batteries was a POS in my eyes.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
But a rewards program always reaches for more. Richdel would want me buying heads and controllers, too.
Sure. And that's why I say the rewards programs are 50% marketing and 50% appreciation.

The programs are designed so that the higher level of commitment you are willing to make, the more rewards you will get. But you can still get to any of the trips or rewards RB or Hunter or any of the other manufacturers offer just by selling one of their product, if you sell enough of it. You'd just get there faster if you sold more of their products. RB had a cruise they did 2 years ago that you could qualify just by selling enough rotors. Nothing else.

But I'm the same way with my customers. I will reward the customers who spend $20-$30K on a full back yard a whole lot more than someone who just wants a $1K addition to their sprinkler system and then hires my competitor to install their $10K paver patio. It only makes sense to reward those who spend more with your company.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-07-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
You older gentleman may know, did they ever produce anything worth buying? Always hated their heads , clocks and valves. Any clock that will not run electricly without good batteries was a POS in my eyes.
Nelson was another company that did not transition successfully from the world of brass. Most of their plastic heads were 'me-too' knockoffs. In their earliest days into plastics, they were smart enough to resell Richdel valves manufactured in Nelson's dark green color.

One Nelson controller that has shown a pretty good lifespan, is their little pushbutton jobbie with the dropdown cover. I think it was first made to run from button batteries, and may have not had a power supply circuit, but they fixed that deficiency, and I see a lot of them yet.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
You know that once you program the thing you can save the settings so that you can instantly recall them should the homeowner mess with the thing. The controller really isn't that difficult to program either! Perhaps you should read the manual??
I have read the manual. After 1,000-1,500 installs I have learned that a customer will open the controll box look at it for 10sec, and if they cannot figure it out they will call my number. The recent regs changes in TX state that I MUST post a sticker with my contact info on the controll box, so it is easier for them to call me than to read the manual (which is in a packet with the CAD layout of the system directly above the controller).

Just because I dont have thousands of posts doesnt mean I don't install hundreds of systems a year.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Just because I dont have thousands of posts doesnt mean I don't install hundreds of systems a year.
I never saw any correlation, quite honestly. Your word has always been taken for face value, which means to this piker, that you're no slacker.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I never saw any correlation, quite honestly. Your word has always been taken for face value, which means to this piker, that you're no slacker.
I just get tired of the "internet experts" that from reading some posts you can tell the real world experience isnt on par with their talk.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"You can play all the notes and know all the words, but never quite learn how the song is sung."
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
I have read the manual. After 1,000-1,500 installs I have learned that a customer will open the controll box look at it for 10sec, and if they cannot figure it out they will call my number. The recent regs changes in TX state that I MUST post a sticker with my contact info on the controll box, so it is easier for them to call me than to read the manual (which is in a packet with the CAD layout of the system directly above the controller).

I don't doubt that you install hundreds of systems a year. But what you're really saying is that you'll gladly take a customers money to install a system but you don't want to be bothered with having to take care of their needs after the fact? Or did I miss something?