Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing is not a job... then what else do you call it?!

Sooo lately a lot of people ask me where do you work. I just tell i mow lawns for my self. 9/10 times I get a response like this, Mowing is not a job... its just so that you can make a little extra money.

Now can some one please explain to me how the hell mowing is not a job?! I mean i work probably harder then them who work at a fast food restaurant or where ever they get hired. I just dont get it! Its probably just the youth of these siting on there lazy asses playing xbox all day.

Oh im 16 btw and mow 8 lawns.

Sorry guys i just had to vent about it. it was just really making me mad saying that mowing isnt a job. I mean i know its not a fully established business yet but im getting closer and closer and really do work hard to get it a fully established business.
Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
Stihl FS 90R
Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''
Plus miscellaneous equipment

Solo Operation
www.baslawnservice.com
Picture Thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347985
Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife didn't think mowing was work until she joined me for half day never again will she disrespect the industry..

Tell them to pound sand when questioned about your job..

Michigan has two seasons, winter and road construction.....!!!

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will get a lot more respect when you get older and have your own truck and trailer....I just went through your picture thread and it looks like you do a great job with what you have. I am 22 and still get looks from people when I tell them I own a full service lawn and landscape company ( I choose to say that rather than I mow grass) I am fully legit with all my licenses and what not and insurance. You will have people tell you on here that you have to look professional to be taken as a pro, and to a point that is right, but not all the time. I can tell from your pictures that you live in a very nice neighborhood and from my experience, those people are looking for the professional look, not just in the end product, but in the presentation of your services. I have two 1 million plus homes and if I rolled up with crappy looking equipment and like a didnt give a rats a** then I would probably be fired even though the yards look fantastic. I respect that you are doing the best you can with what you have and you should be very proud of yourself, and so should your parents. Another thing you may want to consider...I noticed in the beginning of your pic thread you mentioned that two of your customers had the "pros" come and mow and that you lost out on $70 which means your are mowing those yards for 35. I would most likely assume that in that area, with those size properties, and with all the services you are doing to make them look great, your competition is probably charging around 70 per cut per yard.
I know you asked about insurance and such, and that is something you really need to look into as soon as possible. It is vital to run an operation in this industry. Get everything you need to run a business and try to do as much as you can without any money from your parents (IDK if you are getting any now?) Once you know all the expenses associated with running a "business" you might see why people dont take you seriously at the current time when you are mowing 3/4 acre high income properties for 35.
By expenses (and I am only putting so much time into this b/c I am bored) I am talking about insurance, taxes, payroll (if you have a helper) licenses, wear and tear on equipment, depreciation, savings, phone bill, fuel, and so on. Really consider all these things. I can tell you for certain that if I mowed any of those properties in those pictures for 35, I would probably break even or might make a little if I can get it done in under 1 hour with another employee, which Im sure I could.

With all that said, keep your chin up man! Be proud of what you have accomplished and dont let anyone get you down, it is so not worth it. And im sure bobcat48 will give you some encouragement as well...lol..I had too

Good Luck and PM me if you need any further advice or help ( I feel like Dr. Phil?)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah dont say the usual line "i cut grass" or "i mow lawns." It makes you sound like a little immature kid. Say i run a Landscaping business! haha

best thing to do is stay in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep doin what you're doin. school first,work second. This is from the heart: im 37 years old and have been doing lawns,landscape, and snow since i was 19 "officially/ legally" It was good money...(could go out and party, go on dates,etc) Now with a wife and son. Its not really the best money. Well also with the econ. being the way it is!

If i could do it all over again i would of been a doctor or something... Not just some "lawn jockey"<<People call us! No offense to anyone else who is in the same business.
I also wouldnt of ever cut anyone else's lawn other than my own!

By all means im not trying to discourage you, but educate you. Im sure you do a great job and are proud of yourself but im trying to help you out so you dont end up like me! Im no small company either pushing 12 guys a day! These lowballers are ruining it for everyone!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

best thing to do is stay in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree. Who do you think many of those lowballers are? College grads who can't find work or those that had a good job then got laid off. You are way ahead of the game working and earning money right after high school instead of partying four years in some diploma mill, getting yourself $200K in debt then not finding work.

Don't get me started on how 50% of kids do not belong in college. If you don't have a clear goal and an excellent chance of employment upon graduation in your field when you enter a college you don't belong there.

On of the reasons this country is in the mess it's in is because of thinking like yours. We have a generation whose parents, mostly hard workers like ourselves back in the 50's, wanted a "better life" for their kids. So every kid had to have a college education and the result was they don't want to get their hands dirty, have an attitude towards those who do and feel entitled to as much money as possible.

Being in the trades or doing manual work today is considered a stigma and so our workforce is rapidly declining as we retire and our sons or daughters aren't taking our places as they once did. So we are inundated with illegals "doing the work nobody wants to do".

There's the rest of your lowballers.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think mowing is a job either.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

NEVER take anyone seriously who tells you NOT to stay in school.

Having an education and not "thinking" you're needing it........is 1,000X better than the alternative.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i personally would never tell anyone NOT to say in school but on the flip side i would never tell anyone TO stay in school.

school isn't for everyone. i graduated from highschool and wasted 2 years in college never finishing.

i personally would haven't been better off to skip college all together.

but again i'm not telling anyone to stay or not stay in school. it's a personal choice that each person has to make.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you feel a need to respond to silly statements. Sometimes it's is best to ignore.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
It's not a JOB, it's a PROFESSION. A job is where you work hard as you can and give most of the profit to the boss!
My nephew has a job as a mechanic. They charge the customer $80/hr and pay him $10/hr. Now that's a job! Maybe a grease job or a lube job but it's a job. He's a professional mechanic working a job.

I congratulate you on your independence. You may be 16, but you're the boss. (Well the customer's the boss) but it's up to you to pick and choose customers.
I havn't had a "job" since 1983. Looking around at all those people who HAD jobs and now are not working, I believe I've made the right choice.