Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Made in the USA

How important to you is products you buy that they are produced in the US?

LawnCare stuff ranges from Japan US I guess Stihl is us but a German company. Most if not all heavy equiptment is made overseas.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is important. Reality is that manufacture of certain types of goods has gravitated towards some countries. Your examples of Japan and Germany are good. Most of what I use is either manufactured in Japan or Germany. What I will not pay into is a country like China low balling the system and not contributing to it. Can you name something of high value that China imports from the US? At least trade between Germany, Japan and the US is bidirectional, not totally equal, but not like China where they flood the market with cheap junk.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
It is important. Reality is that manufacture of certain types of goods has gravitated towards some countries. Your examples of Japan and Germany are good. Most of what I use is either manufactured in Japan or Germany. What I will not pay into is a country like China low balling the system and not contributing to it. Can you name something of high value that China imports from the US? At least trade between Germany, Japan and the US is bidirectional, not totally equal, but not like China where they flood the market with cheap junk.
Products made in China have improved over the last 10 years and I think they are now equil to products made in Tawain.
I have a Yuchai 3klb mini excavator that I paid 9000$US 5 years ago, tthe quailto of the machine is as good as Yanmar or others. The Yanmar is made in Japan with many of the parts made in China ant the cost is 27k.

Reality China is the Preasant and the future as well as India.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Products made in China have improved over the last 10 years and I think they are now equil to products made in Tawain.
I have a Yuchai 3klb mini excavator that I paid 9000$US 5 years ago, tthe quailto of the machine is as good as Yanmar or others. The Yanmar is made in Japan with many of the parts made in China ant the cost is 27k.

That is the reality in the current market. If the US has the balls and decided to control imports with tariff's it would change really quick. I can see it happening in the next 10 yrs how things are going.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tariffs. Ha! Not when the corporate masters benefit from outsourcing manufacturing in foreign countries. The cold day in hell is when the US implements a policy like the one in India. That is harsh. If it happened here, those Chinese factories would have to set up production in the US if they did not want to have a massive tariff imposed on their stuff.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
That is the reality in the current market. If the US has the balls and decided to control imports with tariff's it would change really quick. I can see it happening in the next 10 yrs how things are going.
The way I see it is the USA is controlling exports, it is no longer practicle to keep a marginal manufacturing business in the States as our Gobernment has become unprictable and is not stable.

Tariffs justs makes goods mor expensive, I say we become a more manuficaturing friendly country.

The other side of the picture if you want to but a car or anything else from someone else in another country why should the goberment interfere, were supposed to be a free country even though we are not
Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its 2011. China has the means to have high quality factories and great QC. Most of the time, it is the US company saying cut corners.

I just bought a nice Fenix flashlight and it was made it China.

I prefer to buy US made stuff. That tag can be misleading as the raw materials may be made in China (fabric, plastics, etc)
Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post

In the decades directly following WW2, Japan was heavily dependent on US products and essentially started from scratch as far as their own manufacturing. It used to be that all Japan could produce was junk, but their economy grew ten-fold as the decades progressed. Now, to have a Japanese car is to have the highest-exporting vehicle manufacturing country in the world. The same is occuring in China. Depending on who you ask, they will/already have surpassed our economy, will surpass Japan due to their size, and will probably become the elite manufacturer of goods in terms of both quantity and quality.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I don't care at all where something's made. As long as it's a good value to me.

Most of what you hear is from someone trying to manipulate people into supporting their agenda. I probably wouldn't deal with terrorist organizations, but I really don't consider it my job to police the terrorists either.
They found the ATF selling guns to the Mexican drug cartels (so they could track them) they said. To the point that about half of the guns in Mexico came thru the ATF! WTF is going on!? I'm not going to try to sort it out!

If I want to influence government policy I'll do it with my vote, not my wallet.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just noticed the other day that my stihl hedge clippers were made in china!!! I was bummed, but they still work great.
Posted via Mobile Device