Register free!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben I View Post
I'm in the process of installing a drain. It's going behind a house to catch surface water coming down the hill towards the house and drive. I'm planning on a 24"x24" trench filled with filter rock and no pipe. The trench will be 100'-125' in length and has a natural fall to it all ready. about 1/3 of the trench will be dressed with 3/4 inch river rock on top of the filter rock at grade level because it is the walkway from drive to back porch. The other 2/3's is going to be underneath the drive so will be dressed with #57 or crusherrun at grade level. My question is will this work and drain the water off properly or should I consider doppin in some drain pipe?
Proper design of an effective intercept drain is a bit more involved than simply throwing some rock in the ground, with or without pipe, wrapped or not wrapped. Either design it correctly before you start the install, or just forget the whole thing because it will just end up being a complete failure and waste of money. To this point no one has offered up any of the information you really need to design this properly .... for example how to properly size your pipe. I suggest you sub it out and stick to what you are good at doing.