Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hydrangea

looking to incorporate "forever summer"hydrangea into a design for the front yard of a client. the area gets a descent amount of sunlight. i was planning on planting these with lirope in front and then using annuals in front of that. just checking to see if these hydrangea will work. if not any suggestions???
Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hydrangeas of any variety, do not like sun... Morning sun is tolerable , but if they are going to be exposed to afternoon sun, without shade cover, look for and better fit...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Barrett- I think you mean 'Endless Summer'- Ive used them and am less than satisfied as they tend to be susceptible to some sort of leaf blotch.

Instead I really like to use 'Lets Dance' moonlight hydrangea. It is much darker green leaf and is a repeat bloomer. It withstands full sun very well.

Regardless of which hydrangea you choose,for the first couple of years they need LOTS of supplemental water unless Ma Nature is raining consistently... You should make sure your customer knows this so as to avoid frustration when failure occurrs during summer drought.

Another hydrangea that performs very well too is Incrediball.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
looking to incorporate "forever summer"hydrangea into a design for the front yard of a client. the area gets a descent amount of sunlight. i was planning on planting these with lirope in front and then using annuals in front of that. just checking to see if these hydrangea will work. if not any suggestions???
Also- do you have a Nursery Dealers License???
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If there is a functional hydrangea that tolerates the heat of a full sun afternoon, I'd like to see it... Are these "moonlights" ugly little nothings or can they be looked at with pride????
Old 09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
If there is a functional hydrangea that tolerates the heat of a full sun afternoon, I'd like to see it... Are these "moonlights" ugly little nothings or can they be looked at with pride????
Nope- theyre a Good- full bodied hydrangea- dark green leaves w/ big flower clusters. Better repeat blooming when old flowers are trimmed off- like most hydras.

Axe- your in Wisco- so figure zone 4. Prolly not hardy there unless you dump a $hitload of leaves over the top in late fall to help insulate.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ive used the endless summer down by me a few times and I have always had good success with them. When I was looking into using these I did a little research on these, and found some good information at endlesssummerblooms.com. According to them, and as I have found out through various different plant placements, I found that these did the best when they did get about 6 hours of sun per day. also, you dont want to cut it back every year becasue it will not flower early in the spring then.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
Nope- theyre a Good- full bodied hydrangea- dark green leaves w/ big flower clusters. Better repeat blooming when old flowers are trimmed off- like most hydras.

Axe- your in Wisco- so figure zone 4. Prolly not hardy there unless you dump a $hitload of leaves over the top in late fall to help insulate.
They're winter hardy enough, but they droop in full sun, unless they are excessively watered... I hate drooping, especially when those huge blossoms end up laying on the ground after a few weeks...
Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks guys.... upon looking into it a little more im also considering "miss kim" lilac instead. they seem like a good alternative since they are tolerant and love sun.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Try Limelight and Pinky Winky