Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

English Ivy Removal

I have an upcoming job involving removal of extensive English Ivy (EI) and covering the area over with 3-4" of mulch.

Here is my plan.

Spray the hell out of the whole mess with hot batch of Ranger Pro.

Either: Use my landscape rake with Kubota tractor and yank up the EI & apply pre-em and mulch. Or wait til the EI is completley fried and mow it down real short and apply pre-emergent then mulch.

Any thoughts??
Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If some-one in your position is Weed wacking with a trimmer, it will paste small pieces of sticky Hedera helix all over your clothes and goggles.

I have had better results using a hedge saw as a scythe and cutting the ivy close to the ground, raking it up to expose the short stems and then carefully spraying glyphosate on what is left. (check labels and only use glyphosate above 18C/70F)

Getting rid of the rhizomes is the hardest part.

I suggest that you use your herbicide treatment of choice carefully all over without allowing it to drift onto landscape plants, and maximize your treatment around the perimeter of the area.

If you are worried about spray droplets drifting onto other plants, try a paint roller.

Then lay down a quality landscape fabric, overlap the seams and pin it all down with long nails. Otherwise, ivy WILL grow through the barkmulch. You need a weed barrier.

Finally lay down your three to four inches of bark mulch.

I would explain to your client that ivy is very difficult to eradicate and it will try to poke up along the edges of the landscape fabric....so to keep it in check you should be hired back to spray a few times a year until those rhizomes have been successfully killed.

Good luck with that. Where I am, we can't use pesticides and herbicides any longer.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
If some-one in your position is Weed wacking with a trimmer, it will paste small pieces of sticky Hedera helix all over your clothes and goggles.

I have had better results using a hedge saw as a scythe and cutting the ivy close to the ground, raking it up to expose the short stems and then carefully spraying glyphosate on what is left. (check labels and only use glyphosate above 18C/70F)

Getting rid of the rhizomes is the hardest part.

I suggest that you use your herbicide treatment of choice carefully all over without allowing it to drift onto landscape plants, and maximize your treatment around the perimeter of the area.

If you are worried about spray droplets drifting onto other plants, try a paint roller.

Then lay down a quality landscape fabric, overlap the seams and pin it all down with long nails. Otherwise, ivy WILL grow through the barkmulch. You need a weed barrier.

Finally lay down your three to four inches of bark mulch.

I would explain to your client that ivy is very difficult to eradicate and it will try to poke up along the edges of the landscape fabric....so to keep it in check you should be hired back to spray a few times a year until those rhizomes have been successfully killed.

Good luck with that. Where I am, we can't use pesticides and herbicides any longer.
Too bad-

Drnew- by spraying with RangerPro- my intention was for that to be "uptaken" by the roots (rhizomes.) Hence eradicating the nuisance plant.

I have whole host of tools to cut off the plant at ground level including mowers, pole hedge trimmers etc. A string trimmer would be the last instrument of choice.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
Too bad-

Drnew- by spraying with RangerPro- my intention was for that to be "uptaken" by the roots (rhizomes.) Hence eradicating the nuisance plant.

I have whole host of tools to cut off the plant at ground level including mowers, pole hedge trimmers etc. A string trimmer would be the last instrument of choice.
That's cool. I added that bit about string trimmer for "Others" who may be in a less experienced position than yourself, that's all.