Register free!

Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

scotts deluxe spreader with lesco 20-0-10

I bought a bunch of fertilizer for friends and family to do their yards. But this time I bought Lesco 20-0-10 and the bag doesnt have spreader settings for my Scotts Deluxe with Edgeguard. I am not looking to buy another spreader as I have 2 already and dont do it commercially. Settings go from 2-15 and Lesco says to apply it at a rate of 3.27 - 4.37 per 1,000 sqft. Looking at the upper rate as weeds are heavy. Does anyone have a conversion chart? Google doesnt help besides saying weight some out for 1000 sqft and see how far you get. I dont have a small scale to weight under 5 lbs and be accurate.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the bag for the area the bag covers. Use the Earthway chart.
http://earthway.com/contents/searchr...eader+settings

Then guestimate with your Scotts spreader.

Or find a Scotts product with the same or similar nitrogen percentage (like 20 percent) and use the same setting.

This is not an exact science. Everyone has a different walking speed.

I hope I helped.

Try to have a ounces left over. Go over again to use up the last few ounces. That is better than running out and leaving a yellow streak.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can buy a digital kitchen scale for like 8 dollars at walmart.

I would calibrate it. It's really easy to do. Google calibrate walk behind spreader and you'll be fine. I made a little contraption to catch the fert so I could weigh it.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/...-settings.aspx
Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you listening Lesco and Earthway? Every spreader should come with a "catch bin" or "catch bag" to make calibration easy and accurate.
And every hopper should have the cubic inches of capacity graduated on the side.
And professional-quality spreaders should have non-stick Teflon coated impellers.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 11-23-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: ps
Old 11-23-2014, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug-guy View Post
Thanks for the info. My brother weighed some out and ended up setting it to 6.5.

When the two that i have break ill get a commercial one. Probably be a while though. I like the smaller one i have that holds about 30lbs filled to the brim as i was able to fold the handle and close my hard bed cover.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point Bug guy, a professional spreader in the 80 pound capacity version takes up a lot of space on a pickup. Possibly the Earthway C22 in Stainless steel would suit your needs, compact, 50 pounds capacity in the hopper. Only weighs 27 pounds. Lying on its side it should fit under a hard bed cover. You would have to empty the hopper, of course. Or...at least make sure the hopper cover was on tightly.

Maybe it is possible to design and construct a hard plastic hopper cover that hinges up to allow fert to be poured in and yet is rainproof and allows the partly full spreader to be laid on its side. Has anyone ever successfully built one? Are you listening spreader builders? I know it sounds difficult. It could look about like a glass frying pan cover.

Its not easy...but...if the spreader is empty its usually possible to fit a spreader into the front seat of your pickup. Wheels up, hopper on the seat, handle on the floor boards. I used to do this when I worked at Rue Green; lock the truck so my spreader would not get stolen if I had to go into a store. New leather seats--maybe not--1999 F-250, fine who cares?