Register free!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet! Nice going, Scag. I looks like it will take off very nicely. Don't be afraid to add some additional fertilizer about 4 weeks after planting. Mow when it gets up to about 4 inches. This helps it to spread sideways. Withold water for 24 hours so soil is firm (not muddy), just before you mow.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Few more pics!!! 10 days after seeding!!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

More pics 16 days after seeding. We had 4 straight days of rains a few days after initial planting so some seed was washed away. I have already spread more seed but wish it was a bit thicker. What do you think, will it make a nice thick stand of beautiful grass? I used tall fescue/KBG mix. Rendition,Hudson,Titan & Thermal Blue. I know the KBG is just now starting to germinate so maybe it will thicken.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

The only seed i really have exp with is rye and fescue, most of our seedings look thin for the first couple of months.. once the grass really matures each blade will thicken and give a thicker lawn, usualy after the first few mowings, nice work... how did u work the seed in on an area that large?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob640 View Post
The only seed i really have exp with is rye and fescue, most of our seedings look thin for the first couple of months.. once the grass really matures each blade will thicken and give a thicker lawn, usualy after the first few mowings, nice work... how did u work the seed in on an area that large?
Thanks for the reply. I first tilled the area then used a rotadarion, used a drag to level all out nice and smooth. Finally I just broadcast seeded the entire area in two directions no straw and watered.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check you seed package label carefully for any sign of perennial ryegrass. It comes up really quick, but it is not suited for hot weather. Seven days is quicker than most people get for tall fescue. Scag, it looks really nice. Way to go! What were air temperatures? What were soil temperatures? How much did you water? 60 munutes a day? 1/4 inch per day? Once or twice?
http://www.smithseed.com/seed/turf/t...ditionrx.shtml

http://www.smithseed.com/seed/turf/t...e/hudson.shtml

http://www.titanlimited.com/titanltdstory.htm

http://www.scotts.com/smg/learn/info...ailId=11900004

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-05-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: link
Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

This is a 99.99% pure seed with Rendition,Hudson,Titan and thermal blue KBG so the tag states. It germinated really fast (7 days). Air temps were 70--83 f, not sure about the soil temps. I have watered every day making sure the seeds stay moist. I have been watering with two above ground impact sprinklers, been real time consuming to say the least moving them around this big yard. I hope it turns out really nice and thick.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

23,000 sq feet of Bermuda? Man, my hat is off to you for rising to the challenge of eradicating all of that. I'm sitting on an acre with Bermuda as front and back lawns. I HATE it. I can't stop it from growing in the gravel, my flower beds, etc. And the roots go SO deep. I'm interested in the step by step process you are taking to get rid of it.
What is the cost of such a project?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

First off you will have to get the bermuda growing good fertilize it good and keep it irrigated. This is so it will uptake the gly as best it can. You will want to hit it with gly wait two days and then start watering to make sure it stays irrigated. Wait 10 days and give it another round of gly wait two days and start watering. You will go through this cycle atleast 4 times and you will get 90% or better eradication of the bermuda. You will of course have to wait until next summer before you can do this, probably start late July? You will then need to get a good thick stand of grass established before the next summer to deter the bermuda from coming back since the bermuda seeds in the soil are viable for two years. You will have to be on a preventive maintenance for bermuda to make sure it does not take back over your fescue. Even this plan is not guaranteed to keep bermuda gone totally.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Will take some three week pics tomorrow. I have a few questions for future maintenance. I am getting a fair amount of broadleafs and then there is this one area that has a good amount of crabgrass coming up. I expected this since the ground was worked. I know that the frost will take care of the crabgrass and some of the broadleafs, and then regular mowing will take care of alot of the broadleafs. I am also getting wild onions coming up everywhere. The first time I mow would you use a push mower or the scag wildcat to mow making sure it is good and dry either way? Should I take care of some of these weeds after three or more mowings this fall or wait until next spring? I am not really worried about it this fall but what would be a good plan for next spring with pre-m, weed control and fert apps? I will more than likely slit seed the area next spring if it is not as thick as I want it to be. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks