Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

pump to street water transfer control

I am doing a bid for a small commercial site that uses a rain water catchment system. After figuring how all the heads and zones will layout i started figuring the cistern pump and how it would switch back and forth between city water and the cistern pump. after figuring on paper i thought it would be fun to build the control and since i didn't have much to do today that's what i did. It is in its rough form I plan to clean it up and add another relay so i can have isolation switches. But this is basically how it works, when the controller calls for water it send power to a float switch in the cistern (represented by the manual toggle), if there is water in the tank the float switch is closed and send power down the line to the PSR, also sends power to a NC relay that would then open and not allow the master valve on the city water to flow. so basically the float switch changes it back and forth between city and cistern. In the pics i used to RB valves to represent the PSR and MV. If you look i have indicator lights for what ever mode it is in that i will mount on the front panel along with the isolation switches. Does anyone recognize the cabinet?
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a Imperial box to me. That's a good idea, but, geez, you sure are making it complicated and prone to failure.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Looks like a Imperial box to me. That's a good idea, but, geez, you sure are making it complicated and prone to failure.
Why is that? How have you done it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Why is that?
If you let me have the RM , I'll tell you.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

]Unless you have a ton of ground water, like a spring, the cistern storage will not work, so adding potable is the only answer. So why are you even considering it? Water stored anywhere for a period of time will get contaminated, with crap to plug the valves and nozzles. Your worst nightmare. That being said, all my cistern systems do have a potable back-up with a dedicated valve hooked the clock. Part of warranty was to check the cistern groundwater charge and add potable depending on the demand of the zones. On all of my cistern systems, I use a zone delay to get as much groundwater as I can before leaning on the potable. I use transfer pumps in small cisterns (500 gal) to settle any crap and then pump water to larger cisterns (typically dual 1200 gal.) On-demand pumps take over then. They have a transducer/ thermal overload just in case something gets strange. Since I write start-up and management into my cistern contracts, it's cool to stop-by for a season to see what's what. After, that, it's no big deal. For re-charge from the potable, I fool with the program so as to not to heat the adding soleniod up too much. Here's my little secret: hudsonvalve.com
Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've used a toggle to switch between city water and ground water (either master valve or PSR is powered)

(is that a Batrow case?)
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

why not pump all water from cistern and set up a float valve to refill cistern with PW when needed?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The cistern is not my idea. It has become the "in" thing to do around here and the town may even require it for some commercial buildings. It is not fed by ground water but from the gutters of the buildings. I agree that it is not really cost effective but it s what they want. I have thought of having just a potable line with a float to fill the tank and just use the pump to serve the system 100% of the time. The problem i have with that is that you would have to maintain a certain level in the tank so that there is water there when the system calls and that would limit the space available to store rain water. The other problem i have with that is if you are trying to be "green" and save water and help the enviroment you would also do your best in other areas to do the same. What I mean by this is if you are using city water to maintain the level of a cistern just to pump it out again you are wasting electricity. There is 75 psi that's there for free so I would rather use that then have to repressurize with a pump especially because most of the there won't be enough rain to fill the tank. I thought that a auto switch from city to cistern would be cool and I don't really see where the reliability problem exists.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone involved ever consider grey water options?