Register free!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Burnout II weed killer by St. Gabriel Organics

Has anyone else used this product?

I purchased this the other day and tried it for the first time yesterday. This was my experience with it:

It was moderately effective against dandelions, but not much else. After application, the parts of the broadleaf that was spraryed turned light brown and sometimes shriveled up. It only affected the part that received direct spray, but did so within 20 minutes when applied in direct sun.

I mixed it at a 2:1 ratio with water. The directions called for 3:1 for general use, and 2:1 for use against mature weeds.

The weeds that were in the shade didn't seem affected at all. The directions call for direct sun and minimum 73 degree temperature.

The Amazon reviews state that this product is especially effective on young weeds, but does little to mature, large weeds. I'd have to agree with this assessment. I just used a weed plucker for the mature dandelions after trying out this spray on them.

Since mature grass didn't seem affected hardly at all, could this be considered an organic replacement for 2,4 D selective herbicide? If you catch the dandelions when still young and tender, without it affecting the surrounding mature grass, you wouldn't have to worry about this product (advertised as a non-selective weed and grass killer) wreaking havoc on a turf by leaving a big, ugly brown spot where the weed was.

I'm also still looking for 20% vinegar in my area (haven't found any yet) to use as, hopefully, a non-selective general herbicide. That would replace the role that glyphosate products served in my spayer- then I'd be set for the summer time weed spraying.

Anyone else have a experience and a perspective on this product?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh, and I still haven't found "Fiesta" in my area (Oregon) yet.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There are very few sources of Fiesta Weed Killer in the US. We ship it by the case (2x2.5gal) anywhere in the lower 48.

We also supply Avenger Weed Killer, OMRI listed citric based non-selective weed control. (4x1gal)

These products are for those who require non-chemical controls. They do not trans-locate and may require more than one application. On the other hand, they do not have health and safety concerns. BTW, 20% vinegar causes permanent damage if the concentrate gets in your eye.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Lawn View Post
Has anyone else used this product?

I purchased this the other day and tried it for the first time yesterday. This was my experience with it:

It was moderately effective against dandelions, but not much else. After application, the parts of the broadleaf that was spraryed turned light brown and sometimes shriveled up. It only affected the part that received direct spray, but did so within 20 minutes when applied in direct sun.

I mixed it at a 2:1 ratio with water. The directions called for 3:1 for general use, and 2:1 for use against mature weeds.

The weeds that were in the shade didn't seem affected at all. The directions call for direct sun and minimum 73 degree temperature.

The Amazon reviews state that this product is especially effective on young weeds, but does little to mature, large weeds. I'd have to agree with this assessment. I just used a weed plucker for the mature dandelions after trying out this spray on them.

Since mature grass didn't seem affected hardly at all, could this be considered an organic replacement for 2,4 D selective herbicide? If you catch the dandelions when still young and tender, without it affecting the surrounding mature grass, you wouldn't have to worry about this product (advertised as a non-selective weed and grass killer) wreaking havoc on a turf by leaving a big, ugly brown spot where the weed was.

I'm also still looking for 20% vinegar in my area (haven't found any yet) to use as, hopefully, a non-selective general herbicide. That would replace the role that glyphosate products served in my spayer- then I'd be set for the summer time weed spraying.

Anyone else have a experience and a perspective on this product?
Barry and I went to visit some folks in Long Island, at one of the stops the landscaper had done an application of fiesta the day before, the broad leaf weeds were smoked or heading that way, I wish we had thought of that one
Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
There are very few sources of Fiesta Weed Killer in the US. We ship it by the case (2x2.5gal) anywhere in the lower 48.

We also supply Avenger Weed Killer, OMRI listed citric based non-selective weed control. (4x1gal)

These products are for those who require non-chemical controls. They do not trans-locate and may require more than one application. On the other hand, they do not have health and safety concerns. BTW, 20% vinegar causes permanent damage if the concentrate gets in your eye.
What does trans-locate mean?

What is the S&H on a case? On 4 gallons?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
What does trans-locate mean?

What is the S&H on a case? On 4 gallons?
it means to move from one place to another

there is no handling charge "EVER" just shipping
It depends on the zip code from Maryland
Old 09-10-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you carry the Fiesta, Bill? I just visited your site and didn't see the product listed.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you carry the Fiesta, Bill? I just visited your site and didn't see the product listed.
No we do not manufacture it, go to Barry's site at http://www.techterraorganics.com/
Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Bill