Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I am about to give up on King blacks and blues. I was looking at some blues yesterday and they were dried up and already corroding. I think they were replaced a year or two ago... max 5 years.

We just finished repair work at really well designed and installed commercial system(brass rb valves) and those dby connections were in the same condition as when they were put in 20 years ago.

I am thinking about switching to all dbys if I can get the price to where it needs to be.
OK.... you're approaching this all wrong if the quality is the issue. Wouldn't you expect to pay a little more for a superior product that won't cause you issues down the road? We're talking $.39 difference between a DBY and a King Blk/Blu connector. Even if you had a job with 100 splices on it you're only talking a $39 difference. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I am about to give up on King blacks and blues. I was looking at some blues yesterday and they were dried up and already corroding. I think they were replaced a year or two ago... max 5 years.
Don't give up on them, the newer ones have a better sealant and can be re-used.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
OK.... you're approaching this all wrong if the quality is the issue. Wouldn't you expect to pay a little more for a superior product that won't cause you issues down the road? We're talking $.39 difference between a DBY and a King Blk/Blu connector. Even if you had a job with 100 splices on it you're only talking a $39 difference. Seems like a no brainer to me.
I know but every time I try to up my quality my material price goes up... and it seems I get outbid. I need to win bids every once in a while!!

I went through a kick, where I would only install I-20s.... but people aren't willing to pay the difference. So back to 5000s.

So I am trying to think out of the box a little... where can I get these capsules in large quantities for cheap.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I know but every time I try to up my quality my material price goes up... and it seems I get outbid. I need to win bids every once in a while!!

I went through a kick, where I would only install I-20s.... but people aren't willing to pay the difference. So back to 5000s.

So I am trying to think out of the box a little... where can I get these capsules in large quantities for cheap.
I'm not so sure that materials are what loose bids. I think it's operational inefficiencies and out of control overhead. At least from my experience. You can always pit vendors against each other and put the project out to quote and save some money of materials that way (If that's how you like to roll, we don't ). Not to make assumptions but look at your operation and how you do things and I bet you can find a couple of things that you can do cheaper.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I would only install I-20s.... but people aren't willing to pay the difference. So back to 5000s.
I'd never checked, is there that much difference in the price? They are both premium heads. I like both of them in the stainless versions a lot.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing works better than Toro screens and the old spears tube of blue glob.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
I'm not so sure that materials are what loose bids. I think it's operational inefficiencies and out of control overhead. At least from my experience. You can always pit vendors against each other and put the project out to quote and save some money of materials that way (If that's how you like to roll, we don't ). Not to make assumptions but look at your operation and how you do things and I bet you can find a couple of things that you can do cheaper.
I would love to have someone come audit my installation techniques, but I really feel like we are as efficient as possible. I think we install as fast or faster than most other local companies.

I am happy with my supplier right now. There service is important to me. But I may need to do a price check, and then get my existing supplier to match whatever I get from competitor. Not a bad idea!

Material cost just keep creeping up and a few dollars makes a difference at the end of the material list. We use just Rainbird ESP modular clocks now... no matter if it is just 2-3 zones. We just like the quality. I use PGA valves, because I like the quality. I use primarily mp rotators for sprays because I feel like I can stretch zones and I have the capability to get out to 30'. I install a rain sensor on every install, because I think it is necessary.

At the end of the parts list, sometime I am thinking damn!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I'd never checked, is there that much difference in the price? They are both premium heads. I like both of them in the stainless versions a lot.
The price difference for me on a 5000 to a plastic i-20 is about $4. and from plastic 5000 to stainless about $9 more.

I gave up on the pgp, at least with rainbird I have heard of a local contractor getting re-imbursed for labor on warranty replacements. And hell its a dollar cheaper. If your going to use this plastic crap... it might as well be the cheapest.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Anybody got an online hook-up for these grease capsules? They have got to be cheap in large quantities some where. Cheapest I can find is .65 a piece.
I use 3M Scotchlok's (3161R) and DBY/R for commons when necessary ... all wrapped with electrical tape.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why the hell can I not find a bucket of these on ebay?