Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Question saw a grass cutting bussines with second crew any ideas?

does anyone know what this might mean, i have been seeing recently that this grass cutter i know has a grass bussines and has been using two trucks one with a one ton dump and trailer which he uses and a regular truck with a trailer for his crew which is one guy that i have seen, he started trimming the yards ahead of time at each yard, then his crew follows behind him and mows each yard, is this faster? im just sorta confused, cause it doesnt seem like it would be faster, any ideas? thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bobbygedd talked about this a couple years back. He claims it was faster.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

yea just seems like its more work and more gas haha
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have a second crew and work alone but I do find it faster to trim when I show up and then mow. I already know where I need to trim so I do it and then I don't waste time getting close and slowing down with my mower.

As far as having a solo guy go ahead before the rest of the guys I would say that's faster (not neccesarily cheaper) because if you finish mowing and have a guy or two walking around trimming after the trailer is packed up its the rest of the crew is waiting with idle equipment.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnFreak1170 View Post
yea just seems like its more work and more gas haha
I agree with this. You also have to have a second truck, trailer, equipment, etc. It doesn't seem like it would be fast enough to be worth the added expense.

And just what would customers think? A lawn truck shows up, makes a bunch of noise, and leaves trimmings all of the driveway, sidewalks, patios, and street. Then thirty minutes or so later another lawn truck comes to make some more noise and finish what was started.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know one local business that had one person doing trimming. He had a small pickup (S-10?) with a trimmer, fuel, etc. He started out ahead, and went to each property for trimming while the primary crew followed with mowers.

This worked well for them. The person doing the trimming was faster and much better at trimming than any other of his staff. I think these were the two points, "faster," and "better." He was able to keep pace with the mowing crew, and nobody got in each other's way. It worked for them.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sounds stupid if you ask me. also a waste of money. your making 2 trips to each property each week.

i did think about something similar only doing it for fall clean ups.

i would dump all the leaves from the mowers at the curb and have a second truck go back and suck the piles up so i wouldn't have to stop mid day and empty my truck.

but then i came to the conclusion i just stated, your making 2 trips to each property each week and that is a huge waste of money.

doing it with leaves it might get the job done faster cause it's quicker to just dump the catchers at the curb then into a truck and it saves time from having to unload the truck mid day.

but with regular mowings i would guess total time spend on the property is the same with one crew doing everything in one stop as with this 2 crew method.

i myself am solo and i trim first, but i don't feel it saves me any time on the property's. i just trim first because i think overall it leaves a nicer look, especially with long grass. if you trim after you mow you have those clippings laying in the yard.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What a silly idea. But I guess different strokes for different folks.
2006 Kubota 9540 w/8 foot galvanized Modern shredder
Gravely 36 inch walk-behinds
Echo and Shindiawa handhelds
16x8.5 Enclosed
24x8.5 Enclosed
16x8.5 Heavy Duty tandem trailer
Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess it means he has a need for a second truck on the route or he wouldn't be doing it. The lead truck could be the lead man, or have other things to do that day that would disrupt the other trucks route if not sent out seperately, he could be the only one skilled enough to trim without scalping or damaging plants or property, he could be scouting for pests in order to set up pest control applications and timing thereof, training a new employee on trimming, getting a little face to face time with customers, checking on the crews work or addressing customer's concerns, there may not be room for all employees in one truck, maybe there is extra work on certain jobs that requires the extra body, maybe he makes pickups and deliveries along the route between trimming time. Could be many reasons. Why not approach him and ask him why he does it that way. He could give you the low down. We can only speculate.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We run two crews on most of our commericial properties. I run one trailer out with the mowers and mow the properties. Then later the trim crews come tru and finish. They sometime trim bushes etc. Trim crew does have to have big trailer that would handle the big mowers. They all have a couple 36" units and 21". I get to take a look to be sure irrigation is runnig and general condition of property.