Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

exmark 21 front wheels loose and won't tighten

I have a 2005 21" exmark lawn mower and the front wheels are loose. It's the part where the wheels are bolted to the deck. I can't get anything on that inside nut and it seems as though the bolt that bolts the bracket on is one whole assembly so the only part you can tighten is that nut in the back. Is this right? I'm trying to tighten these things up cause they are all loose and beginning to wollow out the deck. Any ideas? What size is that back nut? The bolts don't want to move. They are seized up.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Model and serial number?

Possibly I'm thinking of the wrong model but, on the Metro's I recall, the front wheels should be attached to a pivot arm for height adjustment purposes.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes the wheels are attached to the pivot arm. That's not the problem. The problem is the the bolt that attaches the pivot arm to the deck of the mower is the one that is loose and I can't get it to tighten up. Even using an air impact wrench on it. It appears that the bolt and the pivot arm are together as one assembly so that would explain why the impact wrench wasn't tightening it. There isn't much room to fit a wrench in their on that inside nut. The model # is M216KASP. I don't know what the serial number is. I replaced one of the pivot arms about 3 years ago cause it got bent from the lawn mower falling off the truck and I didn't have any problems with getting it off. It appears to be a 14mm nut.

Last edited by Ready to Mow; 09-12-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

The bolt and the adjuster get rusted together over time and you will never get them loose. You have to get a wrench on the nut under the deck (9/16) and a turn the whole adjuster from the outside bolt (1/2). The adjuster will hit the deck half way around but you can bend it back to go all the way around. Don't get it too tight or you won"t be able to make height adjustments.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.bradyoutdoorequipment.com...00005/49190003

Looking at the parts breakdown, it's likely that the retaining bolt is rusted up in the bushing(23). Do what Ricky suggested or as a last resort, use a die grinder or a nut splitter to remove the nut, if there is sufficient room to do so. It's also possible that you're going to need a new bolt and bushing anyway, so you could also grind off the head off the bolt, remove the pivot arm then attack the bushing and tbe remainder of the bolt by whatever means necessary.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

You mean the bolt isn't supposed the spin with the pivot arm?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Absolutely not--at least if I am looking at the proper breakdown. The deck hole would be worn through in short order, not to mention the section of the bolt that goes through the deck is likely threaded, providing extra wear/tear on the cast deck. The pivot arm should pivot on the bushing.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought it was all one assembly. I took it in to the dealer cause I got tired of messing with it. I hate paying people to do things. I'm not one to do that. I told them to tighten the nut up on both front wheels so the wheels quit moving around with every little bump. Obviously that's not going to fix the problem. Hopefully they don't listen and they replace both pivot arms or remove them and grease them up so they get free. I guess i'll have to call them up and tell them to replace both pivot arms. I had my air impact wrench on both bolts and it wasn't coming off so that's what lead me to think it one whole assembly. Tightening up the bolt will keep it from moving around but it's still going to wear on the deck hole when I adjust the height. It must be the bushing in the pivot arm thats rusted because the bolt isn't rusted at all. Still has paint on it. You would think exmark would grease that bushing so it doesn't seize.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The bolt and bushing are not greased since once the the pivot arm is mounted to the deck there is no friction wear between the bolt and bushing. All the movement occurs between the pivot arm and the outer part of the bushing. If I were doing the replacement, the bushing bore and the bolt would get a coat of antisieze/Liquid Film to control corrosion development.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Should I call them and tell them to just replace both pivot arms since the bolt seems to be seized to the arm or do you think the guy will realize that's the case and just replace them even though I said to just tighten them?