Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo PAS-265 and edger usage?

I was planing on purchasing an Echo PAS-265 (now PAS-266) for residential use a couple of times a week. I want to get the string trimmer, edger and chain saw pruner. The edger and pruner will only be used occasionally. My main use for the edger will be for maintaining the edges of flower beds. Will this work well for that purpose? Or is edger really only meant to edge sidewalks and a bed redefiner should be used for flower beds? I'm using an old string trimmer to edge flower beds now, which is slow and messy.

I don't want to purchase separate machines due to the cost. The extra weight of the PAS-265 doesn't bother me since I'm a big guy and won't be using it for long stretches. I selected the Echo brand because of the great dealer support which is close to my location.

Still undecided if I should get the Pro-Torque Trimmer Attachment or the Standard Trimmer Attachment. From what I can tell the Pro-Torque spins slower using some gear reduction; therefore providing more torque. I do need to cut down some tall grass once a year in late spring, but for most of the season, I just need to use it on normal height grass. Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I edge beds with my pas 265 with edger attachment. It work ok as long as its not already a mess. One guy on here got a bed redefiner blade and put on his edger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I edge beds with my pas 265 with edger attachment. It work ok as long as its not already a mess. One guy on here got a bed redefiner blade and put on his edger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for for the advise, I plan to use it to maintain an already good edge. If the edge needs more work, I'll just use a shovel.

I did find the post where someone added a redefiner bade to their edger. I don't see why it wouldn't work well as long to it wasn't pushed too hard.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The 265 is a large size unit, well into the "commercial use" territory and well beyond residential grade. I have one with most of the attachments. Its been pretty good. Needs some work right now.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
The 265 is a large size unit, well into the "commercial use" territory and well beyond residential grade. I have one with most of the attachments. Its been pretty good. Needs some work right now.
What type of work does it need? Just curious if it just routine mantenance, something failed or broke?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If there is a vertical drop to the bed edge it can be maintained by a string stimmer fliped over to edge vertically. Done weekly it creates just enough errosion to keep a clean edge.

Also have the PAS 265. It has become hard to start just the last few months. Carb tweak due this winter. Not an uncommon issue.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.

Tags
echo , edger , pas-265 , pas-266 , sting trimmer