Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

How accurate is your top dresser? My plan was to do about 1/4" applications once a year for my customers. At a 1/4" depth application a yard should cover 1296 sq ft but to play it safe I would budget for it to cover only 1000.

With mulch the math shows a 2 cu bag will cover 19.2 sq ft (at 1.25") but in reality it never goes that far. We probably average closer to 12 sq ft per bag. I'm trying to be safe and factor in there will be a fudge factor with top dressing as well.

It's not like the top dresser is some scientific application machine with extreme accuracy. With fertilizer applications something as simple as high humidity can vastly effect how material is spread. It's going to be a given that the varying moisture content of the material being spread is going to effect the accuracy of the true application depth.

What prices are you able to charge for a typical application where the material being spread is going to cost you about $30 per 1K of coverage? I'm thinking you've got to be able to charge $35-$45 per 1K coverage for labor to make it worthwhile.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Earth & Turf 100sp is easy to calibrate and operate.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
The Earth & Turf 100sp is easy to calibrate and operate.
Like hound says they are very easy to calibrate. Prices you will have to figure on your own as every business is different and every market is different.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
... Small axe. The earth and turf sp is ten cubic foot capacity so depending on how big your wheel barrow is you can do the math. Phasthound built up the sides to be able to almost doublem his capacity. No shovel? How do you fill your wheel barrow. And I never said top dressing was back breaking work. I have an employee in the truck filling and me running the machine, which is absolutely effortless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Almost doubling the size of a 10 cu.ft. hopper must be about a half of a yd, load... Now you're talking...

Never use a shovel to spread the 'post, nor a rake to even out piles, because there are none...
Old 09-16-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Topdressing, by machine, seems to be a very slow process in my estimation... My biggest concern besides running the machine back and forth to the truck so much, would be the time it takes to do a yd. of post ...
wheel barrows move much quicker...
Not true. I have an ecolawn and can avg about 4 yards of compost evenly spread over 20,000 sq ft in under 50 mins. I can do the first load out of my dump to fill it in 11 secs and 3 mins to spread. Since it is self propelled it is easy to get back to truck 10 loads do 4 yards 10-12 mins a load one man.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Almost doubling the size of a 10 cu.ft. hopper must be about a half of a yd, load... Now you're talking...

Never use a shovel to spread the 'post, nor a rake to even out piles, because there are none...
How big is your wheel barrow?

And is there anything you do that isn't in your eyes the absolute best and only way to do something?

Funny how your wheel barrow is more efficient than an advances fairly expensive specialized piece of equipment engineered obviously to make the process more efficient. And every one who owns one can attest to how easy it is compared to the old way. Do you own or have you used a self propelled top dresser?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

And you never did answer the question about running your wheel barrow back to the truck. How the heck do you fill it? If you think walking behind a self propelled is harder than physically pushing a wheel barrow you must be smoking something.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I buy a top dresser the Ecolawn seems to be the way to go. It's almost like comparing a drop spreader to a rotary spreader. Nobody uses a drop spreader because it's more difficult to get a uniform application in areas that lack geometry. The drop spreader is going to require more effort to get the job done. Why do a 3' application width when you can do a 6' width.

The Ecolawn seems to designed with efficiency in mind for small area usage while the SP 100 is based on a shrunken pull behind applicator. At least one person has complained on here who bought an SP 100 because it was difficult to do applications along the edges of lawns that have bends and curves.

It's too bad top dressers are such novelty items that only two companies make decent ones. It'd be great if someone like Scag put their engineers to work building a V-Ride type top dresser. You could have a floating machine that lowers for stability but raises for ease of loading. Bullet proof hydro drives and a Kawi twin. The bad news is it would be a $10K machine
Old 09-17-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
And you never did answer the question about running your wheel barrow back to the truck. How the heck do you fill it? If you think walking behind a self propelled is harder than physically pushing a wheel barrow you must be smoking something.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was challenging the speed of application, by a slow moving machine that carried little more that a 5 cu.ft. standard wheel barrow... Now I finally got my answer that they've engineered hoppers that hold about 1/2 yd. that's better I admit , I like that better than a wheel barrow, My way isn't better in this particular case...
James has a large volume business in compost and a sweet setup that runs efficiently, in which a wheelbarrow would certainly fall behind in speed and efficiency... He probably does more in one day than I'll do this season, and the same is true for most LCOs getting onto the compost bandwagon...
Paying thousands for a machine that returns hundreds at the beginning is bad business... Correct? Meanwhile there is a simple solution that doesn't require, flailing with a shovel or raking out piles that even a h.o. can deal with...

Just becuz you failed to understand the shovel reference I'm not going to tell you how I load the wheelbarrow...
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think Smallaxe is really Charlie Sheen's screen name. His postings are too similar to Charlie's past lunatic antics for it to be just a coincidence. Get help my friend.