Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
What kind of compost costs that much? That seems extremely high. Is that your COST or PRICE?
I'm assuming he's considering a yard to cover 1000 sq ft so he's basically quoting his 1000 sq ft price.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
What kind of compost costs that much? That seems extremely high. Is that your COST or PRICE?
Its our price. We get it. Some companies on here don't know what their cost are in doing business. They are here today gone tommorrow. They hear everyone elses price and think that it is theirs as well. People pay for quality. Lots of companies are scared to charge the correct amount. My time is valuable to me. Every employee of mine has a man our rate I charge the customer to get the job done. Never be scared to walk away from a potential job either.
Br600
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Its our price. We get it. Some companies on here don't know what their cost are in doing business. They are here today gone tommorrow. They hear everyone elses price and think that it is theirs as well. People pay for quality. Lots of companies are scared to charge the correct amount. My time is valuable to me. Every employee of mine has a man our rate I charge the customer to get the job done. Never be scared to walk away from a potential job either.
So, are you saying you charge $130 for each yard you spread with the machine plus a man hour rate on top of that? I'm just trying to clarify the original info that was posted. The norm tends to be pricing per 1000 sq ft so I think your throwing us a monkey wrench that needs a little clarification.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-18-2011, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The hourly rate is included in that price. Sorry for the lack of clarity. 1 yard per 1000 s.f..
So if you were doing 10000 s.f. it would be $1350.
Br600
5x10 Trailer
Old 12-18-2011, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you use a spreader or do you do it by hand. I get good compost for right around 20 per yard so I feel with my delivery of materials and costs, 90 per thousand would work with no delivery fee if customer gets more than five yards. I haven't done the math but it sounds like 1cy will cover around 1000sf. Is that correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Composting by hand is a beech and your coverage is not going to be uniform. I never pushed composting in the past because I didn't have a machine and the cost to the customer was going to have to be pretty high for me to make decent money.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't have a machine. Make small piles in a grid like pattern. Use a backpack blower to spread it out. This works very well.
Br600
5x10 Trailer
Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I havent thought of that. The few I have done so far have been pretty small so I just dump in piles and spread out with a large landscape rake.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a redmax backpack with a regular y pipe plumbing connector duct taped to the end of the hose...it sucks up and shoots just about anything you can put in a wheelbarrow where ever you want it... and it's a load of fun. Nothing better then painting a lawn with dung on a sunny summer day. ...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBlue32 View Post
I use a redmax backpack with a regular y pipe plumbing connector duct taped to the end of the hose...it sucks up and shoots just about anything you can put in a wheelbarrow where ever you want it... and it's a load of fun. Nothing better then painting a lawn with dung on a sunny summer day. ...
Hello DaveyBlue, that sounds good but how does it work, I'm having a little trouble envisioning this. I would like to try it some time. Thanks