Register free!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ecolawns owners please check out my new Ecolawn thread I'm trying to get some feedback
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Things are going great with my Ecolawn and it's working out much better then expected. I've been using about 1/2 yard per 1000 instead of the 3/4 or more I thought I would need. I've been hauling 12 yards at a time at a cost of $26 per yard. I'm spending about $450 a day on labor, material, and fuel and have been doing about $2000 - 2400 in sales.

Dually dumps or medium duty trucks with high beds that allow for rapid reloading with two wheel barrows seem like the only way to go. I can reload in about 20 seconds.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Just wait until your clients start talking about how happy they are once the see the results of compost topdressing!

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in a real bind & need some sound advice from those that know. Spring is almost here & the topdressing jobs will be calling to schedule shortly. I generally have to cram in 3-5 jobs per day since i work full-time otherwise. Most homes require 5-7 cubic yards each. I was running my small dumptruck back & forth to reload 25 miles each way before purchasing a second & larger dumptruck. So we're not killing ourselves throughout our long hot & humid Florida Summer I'm looking at some options on filling the Turfco Mete-R-Matics: 1. Insert Feeder Wagon into the dump-body. Used these are bargain priced Mulch-Mules.
2. Grapple Truck which holds 30 cubic yards & has a clamshell to fill Turfco's.
3. Live floor or conveyor bottom.
If I were satisfied with the existing suggestions then I wouldn't be posting this. Please don't re-hash the basic handtools like cement placers(come-alongs) & scoop-shovels, 'cause I have plenty of experience with them all.
There's got to be a Thomas Edison type on this forum that can see a better way.
Thanks for your consideration.-
Adam
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
I'm in a real bind & need some sound advice from those that know. Spring is almost here & the topdressing jobs will be calling to schedule shortly. I generally have to cram in 3-5 jobs per day since i work full-time otherwise. Most homes require 5-7 cubic yards each. I was running my small dumptruck back & forth to reload 25 miles each way before purchasing a second & larger dumptruck. So we're not killing ourselves throughout our long hot & humid Florida Summer I'm looking at some options on filling the Turfco Mete-R-Matics: 1. Insert Feeder Wagon into the dump-body. Used these are bargain priced Mulch-Mules.
2. Grapple Truck which holds 30 cubic yards & has a clamshell to fill Turfco's.
3. Live floor or conveyor bottom.
If I were satisfied with the existing suggestions then I wouldn't be posting this. Please don't re-hash the basic handtools like cement placers(come-alongs) & scoop-shovels, 'cause I have plenty of experience with them all.
There's got to be a Thomas Edison type on this forum that can see a better way.
Thanks for your consideration.-
Adam
I don't think there is a faster way to load then to have a helper load two wheel barrows while you run the machine. You come back to your truck or trailer and your loaded up in about 30 seconds with two quick dumps.

I haul 12 yards at a time in my trailer. We spread 12 yards in less then 4 hours the other day at three properties. The other thing I realized is a must have is a 30X50 tarp to cover your compost pile so it doesn't get rained on at the place you buy your material.
Attached Images

Owner- David

Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seeing your method makes my system seem easy. Utilizing our dumptrucks with barndoors & a piece of 6" angle iron attached to the back as a lip extension we park a machine under the overhang and pull the back 3 feet off and into the 38" high Turfcos with cement placers. Then instead of reaching far into the bed we close the doors & dump bringing the compost to the back and then lower flat to re-open the doors and start over. About 3-4 tilts and were empty. Now I only use the scoopshovel for what falls out after opening the doors each time. How do I attach a pic?
Thanks-Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Seeing your method makes my system seem easy. Utilizing our dumptrucks with barndoors & a piece of 6" angle iron attached to the back as a lip extension we park a machine under the overhang and pull the back 3 feet off and into the 38" high Turfcos with cement placers. Then instead of reaching far into the bed we close the doors & dump bringing the compost to the back and then lower flat to re-open the doors and start over. About 3-4 tilts and were empty. Now I only use the scoopshovel for what falls out after opening the doors each time. How do I attach a pic?
Thanks-Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
just click the "quote" button on the post to open up the window that has all the smiles to the right. Then click on the paper clip logo that will open the attachment window. Just navigate to the spot on your computer where the picture is located. If the picture is larger then about 2 megs it may not work and you will need to resize the picture and try again.
Owner- David

Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw the "quote" button last night on the laptop but not here on the mobile version. Seems strange. Any thoughts?
Thank you- Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I saw the "quote" button last night on the laptop but not here on the mobile version. Seems strange. Any thoughts?
Thank you- Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
You can also just click the quick reply button and then you will get the option to "go advanced" and it will take you to the same screen where you will see the paper clip icon for uploading pictures.
Owner- David

Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Coming to the thread late but have entertained the idea of doing this.

How are you estimating the job by sqft, cubic yards? What is your retail price on it? I'm not in your area and topdressing is talk about but rarely done in my area.