Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

using a mulch blower is the way to go
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Coming to the thread late but have entertained the idea of doing this.

How are you estimating the job by sqft, cubic yards? What is your retail price on it? I'm not in your area and topdressing is talk about but rarely done in my area.
I'm finding $75 per 1000 sq ft fits in the budgets OK and gives you a good return on your investment. I use 1/2 yard per 1K. Efficiency is the hard part. You need a 16' or a 20' dump trailer or a medium duty truck like FL Landscapes if your going to be able to load your Ecolawn or SP100 very quickly and get back to work. You can not shovel from ground level into the hopper or you going to be very slow and the work will kill you.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I don't think there is a faster way to load then to have a helper load two wheel barrows while you run the machine. You come back to your truck or trailer and your loaded up in about 30 seconds with two quick dumps.

I haul 12 yards at a time in my trailer. We spread 12 yards in less then 4 hours the other day at three properties. The other thing I realized is a must have is a 30X50 tarp to cover your compost pile so it doesn't get rained on at the place you buy your material.
With Ecolawn dry material is a must. I've fought with moist & getting it to drop down to the belt, bridging is terrible sometimes. Shake, Bounce, Shake & repeat.
Ever use with a walking live-floor?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
With Ecolawn dry material is a must. I've fought with moist & getting it to drop down to the belt, bridging is terrible sometimes. Shake, Bounce, Shake & repeat.
Ever use with a walking live-floor?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm using 30% sand and it made a big improvement. No sand is hell.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is masonry sand ok or does it bring in sedge?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have a truck for topdressing that has a walking floor to bring the material to the back? I need an easier way to load the buggies this year, I've had all winter to try & build something but haven't yet. Wish I could just buy something great for $2k and be on my way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Anyone have a truck for topdressing that has a walking floor to bring the material to the back? I need an easier way to load the buggies this year, I've had all winter to try & build something but haven't yet. Wish I could just buy something great for $2k and be on my way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Three weeks later & things are looking up. This feels more like a diary than a blog. I mean really,,,I'm now replying to my own post?
My father-n-law built a very strong skateboard ramp which slides into the back of the dumptruck. Load truck, keep doors shut & dump. Now the compost is cascading down and the plywood ramp forces the compost to be at the top of the doors to pull off & into the buggies. Now I just need two more inexpensive treadmills & I should have a triple conveyor unit that becomes horizontal when completely dumped. Hope you all can picture it on your own since I just can't get a pic to upload.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many yards does your truck hold? You really need to be able to carry at least 12 yards to keep the running back and forth time to truck reload to a minimum. I've done 36 properties so far this spring. The average size has probably been about 10,000 square feet. My Ecolawn reload time is about 30 seconds with one guy working in the trailer as my helper.

As long as your not trying to upload a file size larger then about two megs you shouldn't have a problem. If your file is larger you just need to resize it. If you get the upload failed message it usually means your file is too large.

You could also shoot a video clip of your setup and put it on YouTube. I need to get a newer camera that will allow me to use a bigger flash card or I just need to use my digital movie camera. I have just a few very short clips posted on the Plantscape Solutions YouTube channel.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

We have an Earth & Turf Topdresser for sale if interested. Check out the equipment listings.